Rod Rebuild... DIY Advice Need

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Thought I might give this rod and reel a rebuild.

I don't like to see perfectly good equipment go to rack and ruin when, with some tender loving care

it could be as good as new.

The reel seems a little stiff so perhaps I could start with a strip down and lube.

I am thinking of replacing the grips as at the moment they are a little tough on the hands ( I have the scars to prove it!).

I might replace some of the guides as the existing ones are a little hard to slip the line through and they tend to cut the line off anyway.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know... I would be happy to hear any suggestions.

Let me know if you think I am being too optimistic.. sometimes its best to let old things go even if they are a sentimental favourite.

post-32937-0-46869200-1423459775_thumb.jpg

post-32937-0-86338500-1423459801_thumb.jpg

It was my only catch today... See here for the Report ( not that there was much to report)

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Haha, you got me.

It looks like something out of Pirates Of The Carribean.

Before you bring it inside, lay it out on the ground in the sun a week or two and let the ants clean it up.

It was amazing to see the life on this rod.

There were the obvious barnacles but also some tiny crabs abut a centimeter across.

Regards

I knew it had to be a joke Jim... It would certainly be an interesting project to try and restore it.

I reckon,

That was from Monday when I was forced to drop an anchor as the wind was too strong for the MinKota to hold position on the spot lock.

I tossed it in the bin at the boat ramp but I do admit the challenge would have appealed to me.