New to Sydney, advice appreciated

thomasywy

Hi Anglers,

I have recently moved to Sydney and have finally settled down to have the time to go wet some lines on the weekend. Currently live near Kingsgrove and would like to take the misses to go fishing early Saturday morning 5am-10am ish.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where to go, I use a light rod with 4lb braid and prefer lazy bait fishing, but do have SP available as well. I would like to catch some bream and would love to land a legal snapper if possible! I'd prefer not to fish around the habour as taking the fish home to eat is the other half of the fun! Would anyone recommend a spot thats not too crowded and relatively safe?

I am also really interested in rock fishing, but i think thats a bit too much to take the misses...unless there are some safe places?

Cheers!

Dolls Point is a great place for a fish in the early morning, and not far for a nice breakfast at one of the beach kiosks if fishing is slow. All along the Ramsgate area is ok too, there are the rock groynes to fish off. Along Silver beach at Kurnell is also a nice place to throw a line in. Not many snapper in the area though.

J

Sat morning? Stay away from the coastal rock platforms... 2m swell... death trap!!

Holy moly, i just checked willyweather, came from SA not so use to this type of swells!!!! what level swell is normally acceptable for rock fishing? below 1m?

Dolls Point is a great place for a fish in the early morning, and not far for a nice breakfast at one of the beach kiosks if fishing is slow. All along the Ramsgate area is ok too, there are the rock groynes to fish off. Along Silver beach at Kurnell is also a nice place to throw a line in. Not many snapper in the area though.

J

Thanks J, I think for starters anywhere to wet some lines is good it appears Sydney is so amazing for fishing and just gona have to try everywhere! without getting swept away by those swells!

1.3m max for rock hopping, the eastern Sydney ledges are the most dangerous in the world I hear... Too many people die from inexperience or not knowing how to read the swell.

Botany Bay is good but depends what you're after.

1.3m max for rock hopping, the eastern Sydney ledges are the most dangerous in the world I hear... Too many people die from inexperience or not knowing how to read the swell.

Botany Bay is good but depends what you're after.

I'd like to chase land based snapper, not sure how feasible it is in Sydney. Also very interested in flathead too, use pilchard strips for these?