Concerned about setup

roughstyler

Hey guys, recently I purchased an entirely new setup for Kings (mainly at Pier 2 in Sydney Harbour), but I'm a little worried that my gear is too light for where I'll be (considering how easily the fish can swim under the pier/around the pylons). I had quite a small budget, so I tried my best to get the most ideal gear with the money I had. I ended up going for a 9ft Shimano Aqua Tip rod with a 6-8kg weight rating (I know this seems a little weak, but a lot of people have been saying that the weight ratings of most rods aren't entirely correct or helpful). I paired that rod with a Shimano Baitrunner 6000 OC. I have 30 lb braid, and will probably go for 50 lb leader.

After thinking about, it seems like I won't be able to take on any bigger fish due to how quickly you need to land them at the pier. Off a boat would be an entirely different story, but I'm unsure I have an adequate setup for these circumstances. This is what I was told:

If you get a big enough fish, you won't be able to stop it, one or two things will happen. It will spool you or will pull the line down and cut you off on structure.

If you lock the drag up enough to try and stop it, that sort of treatment will eventually wreck the reel, if the line doesn't snap first.

Have I made a bad purchase? I wasn't going for the biggest of Kings, but would be stoked to be able to land some around the legal mark.

Edited by roughstyler

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. But say a legal one came along, would the gear be up to the task? Also, since you can't let them run too far or for too long at Pier 2 without the risk of getting busted off on structure, would turning up the drag quite high be a wise decision, or would that damage the reel like I was told?

Thanks a lot for the reply, it's reassuring to hear.

While I have not fished for Kings of Pier 2 I am familiar with the location.

Here are a few things to consider...

Its up pretty high off the water and even if you were using 24Kg gear the fish is going to be awful close to the wharf at some stage of the fight even if it was the very end.
When you think about it at the point where you want to lift or gaf or net the fish its going to be just a rod length out from the pier... all it take is a last ditch effort from the fish and you are under the structure and busted off.

A 9 foot rod gives the fish quite a mechanical advantage over you. Not saying it is a bad choice of rods but if you were fishing much heavier and locked up on the drag a Hoodlum class Kingy would be a real handful. The buggers can pull you off balance when they get feisty.

Your setup is ok for smaller kings and it will cope with larger ones but you are starting to put the odds in the favour of any fish over legal size just because of the height over the water and the amount of structure.

Don't be too worried about your gear just be prepared for losing more than you catch.

And make sure you tie good knots!

Cheers

Jim

I think that reel is rated at 9Kg Drag.

Edited by fragmeister

Yeah, I was really unsure about rod length - there are so many varying opinions I've read with some saying a longer rod gives you more leverage over the fish, and others saying that a shorter rod does. That made it difficult to make the right choice.

I think that reel is rated at 9Kg Drag.

Yeah, it is. Would that be okay for what I'm going for?

Also, because of the height from the water, a long leader would be a good idea, right?

Cheers mate.

Edited by roughstyler

After seeing a guy land a 70cm King on a 1000 sienna and 1-3kg rod off a rock wall on the weekend, I'd say your set up would be close to perfect. I honestly believe land based King fishing has a lot to do with luck anyway. If they wanna run to the rocks or pylons they'll just do it, your just lucky if they don't.

Edited by Dave_