Lake Glenbawn 17-18/9/2005

hatheadheaven

G'day Raiders,

Well, made the 3 1/2 hour drive up to Lake Glenbawn on the weekend for a flick in the fresh with my mate Luke - my first line wetting for 3 months, so was pretty keen to get amongst it.

We were hoping the forecasters got it wrong, but when we arrived Sat lunch time, realised they were spot on :badair::badair::badair::frozen: We couldn't believe it - a beautiful looking lake turned ugly with damn white caps all over it! We tried to find a sheltered spot land-based, but we could really only fish the eastern side land-based, and with a 40knt westerly, it was VERY uncomfortable. Only thing to do was to have plenty of :beersmile: and talk sh*t around the campfire.

Sunday proved a little better with the wind gradually calming so we decided to hire a tinny for a few hours to see if we could entice any yellas, bass or perch onto the hooks. So, armed with a box of worms and about 15 different types of lures, we headed off expectantly to hit a few of the many snaggy areas on the lake.

Now I have only ever fished the fresh once before, so without really knowing what to do, flicked an assortment of bibbed divers, bibless rattlers, spinner baits, poppers, hawgs, minnows - you name it, I flicked it - all for nought! Dropped some straight down amongst the snags, past the snags, out in the open - EVERYWHERE, for not a touch :ranting2: For the first hour or two the only fish we saw was when an eagle practised his catch and release on a BIG golden coloured bass :1prop: This thing would have been almost 40 cms and was too heavy for the eagle. It picked up our spirits as we now had proof there were fish in this lake :biggrin2:

We had heard the day before that someone had caught 14 bass on worms and SP's, so Luke had a line down amongst the snag with a couple of natures finest earth worms attached. Not long after the rod has a nice little bend in it and up came a beautiful looking bass (is it a bass?????):

Not the biggest specimen around, but it was Luke's first bass, and looked super healthy.

Fished a few more snags and the dam wall but unfortunately we only had this one fish to show for 4 hours on the water. Didn't really matter - a great way to spend a day.....

Next time we will hit the lake hopefully in my new boat so we can explore the upper reaches of this beautiful waterway.

Cheers

Simon

P.S. There was a couple of fishing comps on the lake on the weekend - any raiders involved?

nope

P.S. There was a couple of fishing comps on the lake on the weekend - any raiders involved?

i was the silly one went down south :frozen::frozen::frozen:

and got zit zip and zap the :1fishing1: was :ranting2:

....you no.... :thumbup:

opps well done there. hatheadheaven.

glenbawn love it :thumbup:

Edited by ankles

Simon

Yep its a bass, and plenty that size in Glenbawn, along with some much bigger guys too. Sounds a bit like my first trip to Glenbawn (except is was 46 degrees in the shade - not wind) threw everything at them for nought.

If you head up again, work the weed beds and drop offs with lipless crankbaits, cast spinnerbaits around the snags (purple, black, and white are the colours) and in between troll purple divers as deep and as slow as you can. You can pick up alot of bass on the troll just on dusk - make sure that you are right on the timber though - if you arnt getting snagged (or at least feeling your lure jump over branches) then you arnt close enough to the trees.

Just my limited experience with Glanbawn.

With the odd :beersmile: thrown in, sounds like a good trip

Adrian

BTW - had the biggest missed strike at the dam wall once - 25m of water with a orr-gee plow down 6m, 6kg baitcast almost busted in two then went slack - I'll call a big cod :yahoo: I troll the dam wall now at the start and end of every time I go.

Next time we will hit the lake hopefully in my new boat so we can explore the upper reaches of this beautiful waterway.

I caught a couple of massive carp on lures in the upper reaches a few summers ago. Gee they went hard ...

The lake gets shallow and mucky in the upper reaches - perfect for mud sucking football fish but not bass.

I reckon stick to the lower reaches, the hour round trip to the end of the lake is better spent :1fishing1: or :beersmile: ...

which comps are they

67778[/snapback]

Not sure of the exact clubs that were fishing there - though through the beer goggles it said something like an ANSA catch and release comp.... was quite a few boats there, maybe 60 or so, but we didn't see much of them as they seemed to be headed to the far end of the lake.

Simon

Yep its a bass, and plenty that size in Glenbawn, along with some much bigger guys too.  Sounds a bit like my first trip to Glenbawn (except is was 46 degrees in the shade - not wind) threw everything at them for nought.

If you head up again, work the weed beds and drop offs with lipless crankbaits, cast spinnerbaits around the snags (purple, black, and white are the colours) and in between troll purple divers as deep and as slow as you can. You can pick up alot of bass on the troll just on dusk - make sure that you are right on the timber though - if you arnt getting snagged (or at least feeling your lure jump over branches) then you arnt close enough to the trees.

Just my limited experience with Glanbawn.

With the odd  :beersmile:  thrown in, sounds like a good trip

Adrian

BTW  - had the biggest missed strike at the dam wall once - 25m of water with a orr-gee plow down 6m, 6kg baitcast almost busted in two then went slack - I'll call a big cod  :yahoo:  I troll the dam wall now at the start and end of every time I go.

67784[/snapback]

Thanks for the tips Target. :thumbup:

A few locals said the dam wall was worth a troll, with some big catches reported there. We did a drift along it once but no joy. Seems bloody deep there.

Also, we fished from 9-1, so not really the best time to be on the water. Was at the mercy of the tinny hirers..... If I get my own ride up there next time, we will be out there day break and sunset, as it always seems a much better time to fish.