Handheld VHF marine radios

boattart

Has anyone had any experience with handheld VHF radios. I'm looking at getting one as a back up and possibly to listen to reports when to at sea but the price ranges from way too cheap to over the top and I'm sure the quality ranges accordingly.

Mark I think there is an auto type error in your message? " when to at sea" ?

I think you prob mean not at sea.

I've limited experience with vhf but have played with cb radio

Handheld will be very limited on power. Poss Ok as a backup on a boat for close users but don't think you would get a marine rescue reception out wide.

For home I'd run a standard unit with an external antenna.

Sorry if I've missed your point.

Where you live you've got pretty easy line of site out to sea. It would be an easy setup for the den / office.

I don't think a handheld at prob 5w will let you hear what's happening out on the troll

I'm not far from you and cant get solander from my place on a 2 M aerial.

As Steve mentioned above, VHF is line of sight, so the bigger the higher the aerial, the better your reception is going to be.

Hand Held, great as a back up.

I note from Steve's answer above, that I presume you are close to the water and high up, he has said that you will have good line of sight from where you are. The issue that i think you will still find with a hand held is you will probably need to walk outside to pick up, with low power you may still be struggling and with 21 being a relay station your line of sight is not necessarily out to sea but a land based station.

Thanks Roadrunner. Yes I do overlook the water and was thinking about installing a radio at home to listen to reports but as opposed to drilling holes and mounting equipment here I was tossing up the handheld as a multi purpose option. I don't want it to transmit as there are enough people chatting away these days about what they ate for breakfast but if I can receive ok I thought it might be worth considering. Thanks for your thoughts.