Sydney Harbour - Friday 20th Feb 2014

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Nice early start today so I had plenty of time to catch some live bait for an assault on some kings.

Headed over to Clifton Garden to get some Yakkas, Got half a dozen pretty quickly but they were a little on the large side so I headed over to Rose Bay for
a few smaller models. They were a little smaller so I released the 6 and caught 10 smaller ones .... I wonder what the local Rose Bay Yakkas thought about a pack of heavy weight Yakkas muscling in on their territory?

I then headed to a few kelp spots inside south head and landed 6 calamari in aboutt 40 minutes. Not big specimens but an excellent live bait size.

Water temperature was 23.8 There was no wind to speak of and 2M High tide at a about 10AM

I was ready to fish at 8:00AM loaded up with live bait So at this stage I was feeling pretty confident.

I checked all my favorite markers and there were fish showing but it didn't look like kings... too low in the water and too small.

I went from marker to marker finding the same so I dropped a live squid down and it was immediately attacked in a machine gun fashion.

Not good I thought. I wound it up and saw the evidence of dozens of leather jacket bites all over it.

I cut of a piece of squid and sent it down on a suitable rig and immediately pulled up a chinaman leather jacket.

I did my best to preserve my precious squid baits by checking out the other markers and dropping one down but it was all the same story.

The Eastern wedding cake was the worst... the sticks, the yellow marker of Rose Bay were bad and Western Wedding cake was just dead as a doornail.

Spoke to lots of fishos but no one had anything more than an average sized bream.

Had a swim at Clifton Gardens and a few Bonnies had been landed by the wharf fishos shortly after sun up.

Disappointing end to a day that started well... I should have kept the Calamari for dinner!

Better luck to those of you out on Saturday.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Hi jim,

I had a similar day in pittwater, couldn't find anything that looked like a king on the screen.

There seemed to be one million macks in a 2 degree break that looked awesome.

I got about 4 Mack tuna no bigger than 30cm. Nothing really on the surface.

How big have the harbour frigates and bonito been?

Edited by stevefish

Hi jim,

I had a similar day in pittwater, couldn't find anything that looked like a king on the screen.

There seemed to be one million macks in a 2 degree break that looked awesome.

I got about 4 macks no bigger than 30cm. Nothing really on the surface.

How big have the harbour frigates and bonito been?

The bonnies went about 55cm

Didn't target any frigates

Edited by fragmeister

Sorry to hear there weren't any kings around Jim. Hope you manage to get some next time round. Silly question, but do you think the cyclone further north is affecting fishing in the Sydney area?

Good question... Not sure but it wouldn't surprise me.

The bigger factor for me was the 2.0m high tide. I think that comes from when I was a kid fishing the sand flats in the Hacking. Big tides seemed to mean all we caught were sting rays. Perhaps it opened areas of the flats normally accessible to the predators and scavengers... I have no idea but the experience stuck with me and now when I see a big high tide I wonder how well things are going to go.

Good effort on the squid mate, it can be really

Annoying your hard earnt squid getting smashed as soon as you put then down.

Were you downrigging

I reckon, I rather they fed a hungry king rather than get picked to bits by LJ's.

Half of them I caught visually when I saw them in the clear water when they approaching the jig from the side as it neared the boat. Tossed the jig back in front of them and they took it without hesitation. Made me thing that if the water was not so clear I would have cast elsewhere and missed them.

I downrigged a couple then I drifted past the markers with a squid weighted down to 6m.

Edited by fragmeister

Thanks for the report fragmeister,

I was out for 2 hours early around Clifton Gardens and then Rose Bay / Watsons Bay yesterday as well. There was some surface action off Clifton Gardens early with some nice arches on the fish finder but they disappeared when we came back a few minutes later. Caught one small Mac tuna (30cm) at Clifton Gardens and that was all for the morning. Trolled around Old Man's hat coming in and again saw some surface boils but no luck enticing anything.

Tried for bream on a fillet of the MacTuna over at Quarantine Station on the top of the tide as we came in and caught one at 28cm. Was generally a quiet day out.

Cheers

The Rev

Thanks for the report fragmeister,

I was out for 2 hours early around Clifton Gardens and then Rose Bay / Watsons Bay yesterday as well. There was some surface action off Clifton Gardens early with some nice arches on the fish finder but they disappeared when we came back a few minutes later. Caught one small Mac tuna (30cm) at Clifton Gardens and that was all for the morning. Trolled around Old Man's hat coming in and again saw some surface boils but no luck enticing anything.

Tried for bream on a fillet of the MacTuna over at Quarantine Station on the top of the tide as we came in and caught one at 28cm. Was generally a quiet day out.

Cheers

The Rev

Thanks,

Good to know that it wasn't just me struggling on the day.

Cheers

Jim