How long will my petrol last?

billthedrill

Hey guys,

Purchased a Bluefin 4.8m Viking with a Mercury 60hp 4 stroke tiller steer. The boat currently has a 25L and an additional 12.5L petrol tank. Anyone know how far offshore this will get me? I plan on averaging some time spent on the water before making a huge trip but just curious on how far people are getting on their petrol supplies.

Cheers

Bill

Defiitley test out your range somweher safe. Keep in mind that different revs will produce different fuel usage rates so factor that in.

If i were you to test your range, i would end up buying a second 25L tank, fill upp all your tanks (so you have 2 x 25L and 12.5L), run a first 25L untill its dry and see what distance you get, that way you will always have the seond 25L (plus the extra 12.5L in case of bad weather etc) to return home.

Is it a Bigfoot motor or a normal one? A Bigfoot has a bigger gear size which means the motor will be more economic on bigger swells and seas. It will say on the motor like mine - post-30931-14247300437111_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be purchasing an additional 25L to keep on board temporarily. Was thinking of an underfloor fuel tank but I like the idea of having multiple tanks so that fuel doesn't get stale.

I guess I'll hit the water and not get too adventurous on the first few outings. I do plan on hitting 12 mile reef eventually. Any tips on how I can calculate my fuel usage over the next few weeks to ensure I can get there and back safely?

maybe work out a trip, for example do laps from tom uglys bridge out to botany heads (this is an example) once you have gone from the brge to heads and back to the bridge then check your fuel, from that you can look on google and roughly work out how many km you have done and how much fuel you have used, just take note on how you are driving the boat like seeds ect,

this is one way to get a rough idea -

I have a Quintrex 490 topender with a 60 HP yamaha 4 stroke. So probably pretty similar to yours. Fuel tank is 90 litres. I typically use 15 - 20 litres in a days fishing. That's travelling around 40 - 50 km. I'd be cautious about going further than 10 km offshore with only 38 litres on board. In fact, I always like to have at nearly that much as a reserve! I rarely put more than 50 litres in when I fill up. I get nervous because the fuel gauge reads empty when there's still 30 litres left.