Batemans Bay area Winter

reese

hi everyone

been doing a little research and can mainly find info on sydney (but i wont be going there ofton)

i like fishing in and around the toll gates (non sanctuary zone) and moruya heads ect,

with winter approaching i would like some opinions what the fishing is like on the inshore reefs and things specially round may - september.

im a 2-2.5 hour drive to the coast -

i dont mind the cold the coast is always warmer then canberra :) - but with the new motor i wanna fish as ofton as possible, off the heads and slowly working my way out wider as my confidence and hours increase, no further then the fad (on good day) i think.

happy with inshore reefs -

my main enquiry is it worth the drive down in winter, is the fishing anygood, normally happy to catch anything, but also nice to leave with table fish as well.happy with salmon and bonito ect, love flathead - would be stoked with snapper or kingy - over the moon if i ever seen a tuna hahaha,

just after some opinions and experiances fishing this area through those winter months.

mostly to launch from Batemans bay but also from ulladulla - moruya - and occasionly Jervis Bay (my dads fav area)

Hi Reese,

Batemans Bay is fishable year round, just gets a little cooler in the winter. But as you said, not as cold as Canberra.

The water is warmest here from now through to April and then starts to cool. The marlin have been very good this year and this should continue into autumn. The kingfish have been pretty much absent so far this year but should make an appearance any time soon. They hang around all year normally, with greater numbers and smaller size in summer. As winter comes along they tend to be a bigger run of fish but not as numerous. There are plenty of likely spots both off the Bay and Moruya which hold fish most of the time. The closest area is to the north of Batemans Bay off Richmond Beach. Head east of the beach into about 45m of water and sound around, there is a pretty big reef which isn't too hard to find. If you sound around you should be able to find the fish on the sounder. There are good live bait grounds on the north east side of snapper island on your way out from the marina.

As for snapper winter is generally the best time of year to target them. The cuttlefish come in to spawn on the shallow reefs and then die and the snapper just love them. If you can find one floating on the surface, try some soft plastics around it and there is a good chance the snapper will be there.

If your coming down, drop me a line and I'll let you know what's happening, as I usually get out once or twice a week if I'm lucky, Good luck and I hope you do well. Cheers..........

Dave

That's awsome thanks, I'll deffenatly make the effort to head down through winter.

I have a mark for tenants reef.. Sw of tollgates? Any good? I'll deffenatly try this other spot you have mentioned..

Hopefully weather permits I'll be down over the next few weekends..

Cheers

Are good to no, based on my gps and the sanctuary map I though it was in there.. Last time I was fishing between snapper and tollgates there were a few boats South of tollgates off the southern headland..

Is there bouys showing the zone... Wanna make sure I stay out of the zones for sure.

Very few marker buoys in the whole marine park Reese. Grab a map and have a real good read as they patrol the zones heavily. Drop me a pm before you come down next and I'll give you an update on the local fishing if I've been out.........

Dave

Edited by Croydon

The water doesn't really get cold until about the end of June, or even early July. There are usually plenty of flathead off Moruya Heads and down to the sanctuary south of Congo. Snapper start to come on in the cooler months and we have caught kingies as late as May in past years - but not last year. There are morwong all year round, but mainly in the cooler months. It gets a bit quiet in August/September but even then there are a few flathead. At that time the best option is snapper fishing or trolling for salmon off the headlands. I usually fish out of Mossy Point and head south - there's a lot of structure between Moruya Heads and Congo in between 30m and 60m. Sometimes we launch at Preddy's wharf in the Moruya River, especially if we're planning a run down to Tuross.