Bonito Fest - Manly Rocks - Sunday 01/03/2015

dwan8337

Raiders,

Finally managed to get out on Sunday morning off the rocks with Dan. Plan was to spin & pillie till the wind picks up, grab some weed and target blackfish in middle harbour.

Didn't know this guy had pre-rigged everything before and got the jump on me. I was still threading cast-away through my sea-jigger before I heard the soul-sinking words of "I'm on"....

First cast he was onto a good sized Bonito on his 3000-sized baby Stella.

I've got to say spinning off the rocks on small reels and light line gets the adrenaline pumping.

Getting Dan to keep the fish in the water, I chucked my 20gm metal out, counted to 10 and started the retrieve. Two cranks "bump"....another two cranks "bump" then zZZZzzzzz.

We cycled through the bonito school for a good hour or two before they disappeared all the while chucking in berley pillie with the free hand.

After the bonito's disappeared, a huge school of garfish rocked up about 5m in front of the ledge. Boy they were hungry, I never seen garfish so easy to hook.

Kept a few for a feed, rest went back into the dump. The bonitos weren't bled as they were for Barney, Dan's white samoi!

Cheers boys

post-17226-0-09476700-1425338869_thumb.jpg

Wow you guys cleaned up Dwan!

Was this near little Manly? I was there last week and the water started to boil but it was just out of casting reach. Sadly went home with a donut.

It was a few headlands up from Manly Beach. Probably out of Manly already but didn't know what else to call it.

Great catch! Were the gars going for metals? I saw a dude get gar on metal but wasn't sure if it was fouled or not

Narh mate they were on bait, they did chase the metals but that's about it. Got them on bread, pillie gut on a small pan hook, ones you target blackfish with