Kingfish Livebait Rig - Sydney Harbour (Pier 2)

roughstyler

After getting a rod suitable for catching some Kingfish (rats and maybe just over legal), I broke my hand, and so the new rod just sat there and I missed perfect Summer conditions. Now, my hand's finally healed and I'm ready to head out and try my luck for some Kings. I've never really had a fight with any fish (I've caught quite a few, but they've never been large enough to make for a fun fight), so this really excites me.

Because I'll be fishing at Pier 2, I'm going for quite a long leader, but that's the extent to which I've set up the rig. I'd like it to be fairly simple (not a bunch of tackle on the line - maybe just a swivel + sinker, or whatever minimal tackle I can use that will still be ideal), and avoid using a float if I can. I'll be using Yakka as live-bait and will decide the hook size based off the size of the bait.

Does anybody have any advice for a simple rig? Any other tips would be really appreciated.

After getting a rod suitable for catching some Kingfish (rats and maybe just over legal), I broke my hand, and so the new rod just sat there and I missed perfect Summer conditions. Now, my hand's finally healed and I'm ready to head out and try my luck for some Kings. I've never really had a fight with any fish (I've caught quite a few, but they've never been large enough to make for a fun fight), so this really excites me.

Because I'll be fishing at Pier 2, I'm going for quite a long leader, but that's the extent to which I've set up the rig. I'd like it to be fairly simple (not a bunch of tackle on the line - maybe just a swivel + sinker, or whatever minimal tackle I can use that will still be ideal), and avoid using a float if I can. I'll be using Yakka as live-bait and will decide the hook size based off the size of the bait.

Does anybody have any advice for a simple rig? Any other tips would be really appreciated.

Tie the correct size hook to the leader and that's all you need. Pin the Yakka in it's back about an inch or 2 from the front. This is the best place to avoid the hook fouling up and getting a good hook up rate.

Throw him out and let it swim free. You will obviously need to keep an eye on the yakka's location and bring him in and re cast if it gets too close to tangling with something.

So just mainline > leader > hook? It sounds great and simple. The only thing I'm concerned about is the bait swimming around one of the pylons.

Yep, it's simple and the best in my opinion. Cast it out away from the pylons. They usually stay out and away but if it come close its just a matter of bringing it up and casting again.

Don't be in a rush to reel it in if it starts swimming around and panicking. That means there is a predator sussing it out.