Saturday 7th Broken Bay

gregh1

Hi Raiders,

I have been having a slow run lately with fishing. Not through lack of trying though!! For the past 3-4 weeks there have been a lot of small stuff around, pinkies, small flatties and bream.

Me and a mate headed out to the bomby off maitland bay early Saturday morning. It was rough going just getting there and once we were there we realised it was way to rough to fish. There were 1-2 mtr waves breaking over it so we headed back and did a drift in between barenjoey lighthouse and lyon island and picked up a legal snapper and nice fat bream. Both were caught on mullet.

My mate caught a good sized yakka so we sent him out live unweighted. Unfortunatly he didn't have any leader on his line. Something took the yakka and ran but as soon as he took the drag off it busted off. Not sure what it was but it could have been a good sized fish as the yakka was at 22cm. We caught heaps of pinkies around the 15-20cm mark and eventually gave up and moved back into BW. It was pretty much the same inside with plenty of pinkies, a nice size female blue swimmer realeased of course and a few small sized bream.

I am not sure how it has been for others of late up my way but it has been a struggle to just come home with a feed. Regardless, there is nothing better than being on the water in good company and I will be out there again come next weekend.

Oh, does anyone know if you can use crab nets around lyon Island and Barenjoey?

Cheers,

Edited by Hooked 58

Guest no one

Unlucky Greg! You'll get there soon enough... Certainly seems you've come a long way in the last few months.

Check those swells and wind combinations, Bombies are lethal things in the wrong conditions!

Cheers Ed!! I well and truly have the fishing bug. I have received some great advice from fellow raiders and continue to learn each time I venture out on the water. Good to see you are doing well on your new boat mate!!

BW has been really poor latelty for me too.

Saturday I only ended up with 1 flattie and about 50 pinkies. my cousin was on his boat and ended up with 1 flattie and 2 crabs.

Sunday I went out and it was hell on the water, The swell inside was the same outside, Nuts. Didn't catch a thing however the missus ended up catching a new rod with a sedona 2500 reel.

If you are interested in trying out lake maq on the weekend give me a yell.

Did you pick it up near Point Frederick??? I dropped one there about a year ago....

I went out solo during the week and had an unreal session - Caught Snapper, Kings, Jew and Flatties - all legal. Just took one of each for a feed for the family and a couple of friends. Had to move around a bit from Barrenjoey into Hawkesbury but had a blast.

Went for a bush walk on Sat morning with a view to Maitland Bay Bombora - I don't like that place on a good day let alone the rough seas on Sat - sure gotta pick your days to fish that break, Im not totally sure the fishing is worth the risk with so many other good reefs within the same distance.

Did you pick it up near Point Frederick??? I dropped one there about a year ago....

I went out solo during the week and had an unreal session - Caught Snapper, Kings, Jew and Flatties - all legal. Just took one of each for a feed for the family and a couple of friends. Had to move around a bit from Barrenjoey into Hawkesbury but had a blast.

Went for a bush walk on Sat morning with a view to Maitland Bay Bombora - I don't like that place on a good day let alone the rough seas on Sat - sure gotta pick your days to fish that break, Im not totally sure the fishing is worth the risk with so many other good reefs within the same distance.

It's nice to hear someone is still pulling in some decent fish Meg!! I might give it a go again in broken bay. I was even thinking of going over to Juno Point. I have been up to Lake Mac a few times and on one ocassion came home with a good sized flatty of close to 60cm and the other time nothing. Last time I was on Lake Mac there must have been 50 boats around the swansea channel. I think it might be worth getting some yakkas at ladders and drifting in the bay for Kingies. What do you use for a Kingie setup?

I'm loving jigging for the Kings at the moment - it's very effective but I've also got them on live bait too.

If live bait just a 25pd leader with small sinker just enough to get fish down does the trick for me - I've got an old trusty rod (20yrs old) and a shimano seabull (4500), I've got 8 or so rod set ups but keep coming back to the old faithful.

Will head out overnight this weekend so may see you out there - usually avoid weekend fish but only time we can swing it.