Lismore/Ballina land based fishing

michael2203

Hi raiders,

I am heading up north mid next week with work. Am definitely taking the gear with me and was hoping for any tips on decent spots to try. I am going to be staying in Lismore itself, so close to there would be good as I will have limited time outside of work hours (a common problem).

Thanks in advance,

Hodgo

I can't help with Lismore unfortunately, but have fished Ballina quite a bit from a boat. For land based I suggest North Creek flicking plastics, particularly the North side of North creek. A little bit of wading there may be very productive on the right tide. The Breakwall out to the bar crossing is also worth a try with baits and lures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been a while but I used to live in Ballina. The south side of the river opposite the RSL has a big sand flat which we used to pump nippers - if you can get into a boat there should be some good options around there. If you are land based I would say North creek, the sand spit west of north creek (the spit) or off the breakwall along shaws bay (river side, not sure there was ever much in shaws bay).

Around Lismore I know there are areas to fish bass but I can't help with any specific locations, but the drive to Ballina is pretty quick last time I was up there since they made the bruxner highway bypasses.

Spent a few years in Lismore about 10yrs ago. Used to fish for bass in coopers creek access from greengate rd out near bex hill. Old quarry in bex hill was a great swimming hole. fished a place called boat harbour, its where the coopers and wilson join. Used to target sharks here using live herring only small up to 5kg and a couple of bust offs, locals never believed us there was sharks in the river.

For salt water I used to go to evans head, took woodburn rd nice drive took about half hour. Fish the swallows with sp and nippers for flathead, bream and whiting or the breakwalls for bream.

This was all 10 yrs ago so access may have changed and watch out for brown snakes along coopers creek.