Braid advice for stradic

guimaras

Good day Peeps,

Was given a good deal on a pair of stradic fj reels.($270 for both, brand new... I couldn't make myself walk away from it...)aa514ce2f5a3f87f422d13ffdfed6564.jpg

I'm still stumped as to what braid line to put in it. Any recommendations?

I'm gonna use the 3000 as a bream rod and the 5000 as a spinning rod for rocks(maybe surf also?). Im usually leaning towards powerpro but open to all suggestions.

I use 20lb sufix 832 advanced superline in neon lime on my stradic 5000FJ, it does the job well. the colour will fade a little bit but thats expected from most braids with colour.
my smaller 3000 symetre is sporting fireline tournament exceed 10lb in flame green and my 2500 syemtre using the same but in 8lb in orange.
i'd recommend the firelines as they just do the job and have been doing so for many many years.
got a old sienna 2500FD that still has the original standard fireline in crystal 8lb since i got it in 2007, it caught me 2 nice bream the other night on bait being 35cm and 31cm.

Edited by Ojay Samson

Cheers Ojay. I'm thinking of the same for the 5000. It says on the spool that it should hold about 230m+ of 20lbs but am not sure if that will be enough if in case I hook up a decent kingie.

Yes, I heard the firelines are good. A lot of people say the actual breaking point is way past the test rating too. How much fireline can you fit roughly on your 3000?

Bloody good deal there, well done. I have three Stradics and just love them to bits.

I'd agree with 10lb on the 3000 for bream work. .

As for the 5000 i'd be going for at least 30lb. Should still hold over 200m and at the end of the day stopping kings off the stones isn't about playing them out for hundreds of meters, its about stopping them in their tracks as best you can before they reef you. 20lb wont even come close to giving you the ability to use all the drag that thing can put out.

Cheers,

R

Edited by Mr Squidy

Cheers,

It was a combination of a certain tackle shop's sale and another shop's 10% price beat policy that made the deal possible.

Good advice there Mr Squidy. I never thought of it that way. I've been using an alivio for a year before this. It was a decent reel, but I never felt confident cranking up the drag on that one...maybe I need to change my mentality.

Edited by guimaras

Well... Followed Squidy's advice and spooled it with 30lbs power pro. Test drove it today and was completely happy with it. The drag is simply amazing! Very smooth and precise. It doesn't overspin at all when the fish runs. Cranking is very light too.

Makes it all worth it.fdb7e505cdfd70e1226160b436732b32.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers R, was quite surprised with the fish too!

Just an update, I now spooled the 3000 with fins windtamer 4lb and paired to a lox 7'11" rod. All I can say is, the fins is a bloody strong braid! Im definitely sure that the breaking strain of it is more than 10lb. Amazing to cast too.

As for the 5000, I changed it to izorline 30lb. Its a flatter braid than the PP, but is smoother. Was informed that it actually has a higher breaking strain than the PP but haven't pushed it to the limit yet.