PB Sydney Bream

sebcox

Hey Guys,

So ive been eyeing off this little beach I can see while driving over tom uglys bridge just about everyday and last night decided to give it a crack. Armed with a few poddy mullets I was hoping I might pick up a flatty or 2 but ive never seen or heard of anyone fishing the beach so didnt have the highest hopes.

Got to the street with the track down to the beach and realised I had over packed -.-

Somehow managed a trip down with an esky, bait tank, 2x 12ft rods, tackle box, camp chair and a bucket in 2 uncomfortable trips.

Rigged up one rod with live poddy then another with a paternoster and squid strips. Once rigged up I enjoyed the sunset with a beer and a great view.

45 minutes later sun is just about gone with the only bites being mozzies. My poddy was dead by this stage so I swapped that out for squid head and filleted the mullet for the paternoster rig.

The next 30 minutes would have to have been the worst experience I have ever had with mosquitos in my life! It was excruciating!

I decided there was no way I was staying here. Only anyone who has been in the same situation would understand that breaking point you feel you are going to have a meltdown getting eaten by mozzies.

Luckily I decided on a last cast and not long after sitting down a few taps then the rod loads up! I had no idea what it could have been but knew it wasnt small. 20 seconds into the fight my squid head speeds off towards the middle of the river on my bait runner. Unfortunately not quick enough to that rod so came back and beached this beauty!

It went 37cm which is equal size to my previous PB at St Georges Basin but by far my Sydney PB.

I didnt waste alot of time between landing this fish to packing my stuff up and trying to get off the beach ASAP.

Up hill track back meant 3 trips but I just kept saying to myself, 'this trip would be a whole different story if you didnt get a fish so suck it up'.

Lesson learnt though. I would probably fish it again but I would only take one rod (sp), a backpack with tackle and a can of tropical strength repellex!

post-35940-0-94720600-1426800069_thumb.jpg

Healthy looking breambo Seb nice work! I can relate to the mossies they can quickly ruin a relaxing evening session...

On the topic of gear and being well packed, I recently got myself a Burkley tackle backpack/ chair. Best decision ever, it has a fold up back support and is quite comfy. Works well on the beach too.

I can get stacks of tackle into it and it has side pockets perfect for your leader reel and some bug spray.