Pittwater 6th April

fisho.sid

Hi all,

So i've recently bought my boat, probably 2 months ago and have been going out every weekend as you expect. I love my boat, it's awesome but cant say about my fishing skills but was still great to get out and get away from the crowds of lbf.

Launched at Bayview boat ramp around 9am, was lucky to get a clear run on the boat ramp. After launching i noticed a steady queue of boaters doing the same.

The misses was with me and the father in-law had his cruiser in the water too. Plan was to drop the misses on the cruiser and i fished solo. The cruiser isnt setup for cruising, more like a luxury cruiser however i know they wanted to drop a line so i passed them my bream gear with some fresh prawns from local bait shop.

So soon after dropping off the misses, my plans were to get into some kings. First stop tried getting some fresh squid, Tried around scotland island, around about 4 headlands and bays on the western side and yielded nothing. Where are the dam squid?!?!?!?!

Getting desperate i thought the previous rain have drove the squid away so I thought i'll try around barenjoey and slowly worked towards the heads, the water was looking better and promising.. however after about 20 casts still nothing.

So 2 hours has passed i decided to poke my head outside to have a peak. Saw a few boats out there and was just about to zip there to check it out until i got a phone call from the misses. (btw does anyone know whether there is a reef out there fairly close by?) Anyways misses was saying she was busted off by a king on prawns.... Hmmm so i quickly went over and tied behind the cruiser and threw a prawn in, stayed around for about 2 hrs for nothing but squires and a shovel nose shark. So the kings must of moved on.

Anyways i've given up on the kings but i know there were fresh prawns so was going to soak them somewhere..By about 1pm, i notice some storm clouds brewing up. I quickly deployed the bimini and zipped up the covers..Anyways i figured i head east of pittwater to stay away from the storm. Anchored, i deployed some prawns. By this time the rain started to hit, hit really hard, was feeling lucky i had put the covers up and provided some protection.

Anyways in the middle of the storm the bream rod starts to buckle, no idea what it was yet but had suspicion it may be another squire as it's all i seem to catch. Anyways bring it up and it was a bream. I was suprised, and finally a keeper.

Whilst still bucketing down, the another rod buckles and up comes another bream. Wow now i'm really happy. I've been trying to find bream and almost given up. Thinking the big ones are too smart, they're not liking baits anymore etc. But luckily i was proven wrong and ended up catching 5 breambos and 2 whiting. I noticed the bites all occurred just before the tide change.

Anyways by this time, the storm has passed and the bites stopped. Also noticed the bay was empty and water was calm. In amongs the breambos i managed to catch a yakka. Hmm it was a horse of a yakka about 24cm and thought his too big for a livie so i stripped him up to only catch more yakkas. Anyways now with a few yaks i thought i troll these on the way back to the ramp.

Had a few touches but the yakka was gone.. hmm strange. Anyways tried again and trolled around clariville and again had a bounce no zzzz no connect.. hmm baffled.

Called it a night and was happy to come home with some fish

hope you enjoy the long winded report..

post-10202-0-69715100-1428577865_thumb.jpg

HiYa - Good reading - you are learning the same way I did, solo which means that the way to learn is to spend a whole lot of time on the water.

Squid can be fickle around the area but you are best to keep trying and moving on if you don't get any (personally, I like the Western shoreline better). Another good option is to go out with one of the local guides - I can recommend someone if you PM me, I went out with him around 2 years ago and he is very happy to share his knowledge and when I go out on my boat, I always drive by when I see him to say hi.

There are a number of wrecks in both Pittwater that hold kings and reefs close out from Barrenjoey - what size boat do you have? Again, a good start is to simply do a google search for fishing marks. Another good option is to spend an entire day simply driving around and sounding out the bottom, when you see something interesting, mark it.

You can't beat experience though, and if you don't know anyone who has it, you can pay for it via a charter or simply spend a lot of time on the water to get it...

HiYa - Good reading - you are learning the same way I did, solo which means that the way to learn is to spend a whole lot of time on the water.

Squid can be fickle around the area but you are best to keep trying and moving on if you don't get any (personally, I like the Western shoreline better). Another good option is to go out with one of the local guides - I can recommend someone if you PM me, I went out with him around 2 years ago and he is very happy to share his knowledge and when I go out on my boat, I always drive by when I see him to say hi.

There are a number of wrecks in both Pittwater that hold kings and reefs close out from Barrenjoey - what size boat do you have? Again, a good start is to simply do a google search for fishing marks. Another good option is to spend an entire day simply driving around and sounding out the bottom, when you see something interesting, mark it.

You can't beat experience though, and if you don't know anyone who has it, you can pay for it via a charter or simply spend a lot of time on the water to get it...

Yeah looks like it's a matter of spending more time.. i dont have a GPS on my boat though, and havent figured a way to enter(not sure if you can) into iphone google maps gps co-ordinates. Last time i checked you couldnt so perhaps an investment in a GPS too.

Yeah looks like it's a matter of spending more time.. i dont have a GPS on my boat though, and havent figured a way to enter(not sure if you can) into iphone google maps gps co-ordinates. Last time i checked you couldnt so perhaps an investment in a GPS too.

Heaps of boating apps to get GPS but if you want to find the bait fish (especially for kings), you'll need a fish finder.

Guest no one

I use Navionics all the time, and my basic trip is out 20nms into the ocean... its put me on every spot i wanted it to as well as helped me identify structure and areas where fish should be.