Advice please on adjustable reel seat

oceaner

Hi raiders, I bought an ugly stik 10ft 1-5kg rod on-line.

It's essentially a blackfish rod but I bought it for whiting and bream in bays with the kids.

It has an adjustable reel seat advertised for alvey or spin...

The reel seat turns out to be two plastic parts which slide freely up and down the foam handle as the picture shows. I can't imagine pushing the ends over my reel will really secure my reel let alone if I take the reel on and off.

Does anyone have experience with these rods or similar who can be a little reassuring or should I send it back?

(I have other ugly stiks which I love.)

Any comments or advice would be appreciated

Cheers

post-34369-0-51631700-1430534365_thumb.jpg

I had a couple of rods like that in my childhood (In fact they just came over from the UK this week) I found the worked better on cork handles than foam. They were ok for course fishing But they did slip.

Personally I would exchange it for a rod with a fixed seat. Chances are if you are worried about it now, you will worry every time you use it. There could be some remedies for it, but I dont know if I would go down that pathway.

Cheers Blood Knot

Hi Mate , I bought 1 of these rods last year for Blackfish . The rod it self is not bad and caught a few large blackfish on it . The reel seat works quite well as I use a centrepin or a spin reel depending on how I feel . Still like to be a purist. You do get use to the real seat and there steel bands under the plastic. I checked it out my self with a hacksaw blade. One point I would say they are a very light rod tip. Will still use it this year in my 5 rod arsenal for blacfishing , as it worked well last year.

Troy

Hi guys. Thanks for your comments. I can see it fits the black fish bill but i think i will return it and go back to the drawing board for a whiting and bream off the beach. I was hoping it might be okay cos 10 ft or less really is needed for the kids.