Squid

Camo1808

The only difference between night and day is that after it's dark the squid congregate at all the lights which sometimes just makes it too easy to get onto them. But also they can be harder to catch at night and won't bite the lures. But you will definitely see them

hi Camo1808

I've been out twice in the last two weeks targeting squid. We stayed at it for about three hours each time and landed 21 the first outing and 12 the the second outing . The second outing was after all of that rain but they were still there to catch just not as aggressive.

In relation to your question, on both outings I would say that 80 % of the squid were caught in the last hour before dark and in my experience this is true in the morning as well , the hour or so after sunrise seems most productive. In saying that they are there throughout the day but seem to be on the chew at dusk and dawn .Personally haven't fished too far after dark for squid but there is a lot of talk about lumo egi type jigs being quite effective.

I fish Jervis Bay for squid and they are there all year round but being more prolific in the winter months

I hope this helps

Edited by Zacnoel

I get calamari out at terrigal haven all year round.

Only ever go early morning 5:30 till no later than 9:30 or late afternoon a few hours before dark.

Either from the rocks or in my kayak.

Got a few the other week before the storms

See terrigal squidding post

If on the yak there is a yellow marker buoy towards terrigal

I work the edge from that buoy back to the dive shop/restaurant first then cruise around the boats just look for the weedy patches.

Usually cast with one rod and have another in the rod holder bouncing around the bottom

On foot I cast off the rocks towards the boats

3.0 is the biggest jig size I use I find the lighter the better.