Sonar and side view opinions

stevefish

g'day everyone

Having had my fishfinder recently cark it in suddenly in the market for some new electronics.

I want a ff/chart combo unit and considering the value of sonar and side scanning. Are these features people feel they could not live without once they get used to them or of slightly less value?

Currently looking at a raymarine dragonfly 6.

Interested to hear the views of others on this topic

Cheers

Imo Di and Si are a fantastic addition to a combo set up. They don't replace traditional sonar but enhance it. I almost always have Di and sonar side by side on my simrad

Edit

If you can get a unit that does Di and chirp at the same time even better!!!!

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Guest no one

Personally hate the side imaging, but love how the dragonfly6 looks! It's my next upgrade but I'd never use the side imaging, it's just not needed imo

I find its more accurate over bait fish. Rather than just seeing them as under you. You can see if your on the edge of the school. And if they are to the left or right so line up a different drift.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

g'day everyone

Having had my fishfinder recently cark it in suddenly in the market for some new electronics.

I want a ff/chart combo unit and considering the value of sonar and side scanning. Are these features people feel they could not live without once they get used to them or of slightly less value?

Currently looking at a raymarine dragonfly 6.

Interested to hear the views of others on this topic

Cheers

I would concentrate on getting the most power and quality you can afford. Proven power not just stated on the box. You will see more. Research what 'neutral' people recommend, not advertising.

I want side scan when they invent it to go sideways AND from the top of the water level down.

Strewy and Overdraft and anyone else,

What features on the HDS do you use that aren't available on the elite.

The side scan and insight sound good although catalogue talk and reality don't always line up.

I'm now looking at an elite chirp 5 or maybe 7. Not sure how many extra fish I will catch for double the money.

It's going in a tinny for kings, breaming in the poles and moorings and other estuary work.

I have a HDS7 TOUCH and love it

Stewy, what transduces are you running on your HDS7 touch???

Im looking at buying one but not 100% sure about what transducers I need? I want down scan, side scan, structure scan the lot. I think I need 2 transducers right? Only fish the rivers and estuaries and the close reefs so not real deep water...

I'm not sure what the differences are over the elite as I've never used one.

If you have a modern engine you can hook it up to the hds via a nmea and engine interface cable and get real time information off your engine. Fuel flow tachometer engine temp trim etc.

Yes you need two transducers

The structure scan transducer is long and skinny. About 200mm long. This will give you down and side scan. Then you need a normal tranducer and depending on the type of fishing you do would depend on the size you get.

I've got the 50/200 but on a good day I can pick up browns. Id like to get the 1 kW tranny but they are about a $1000 so might put up with mine a bit longer.

It is pretty simple to use as well and when you troll all day like I do and your mates love playing with all the settings. It's pretty easy to return it back to normal.

ive got the first HDS5 added the structure scanner like all of the extra bits you can add to your boat it has its moments when it is handy. Wish i got the HDS10

B.O.A.T blow another thousand 'when dose it stop"

dogbox