Big blue in the yak

Camo1808

Raiders!!

Not sure if anyone has seen my recent post about catching live bait.

My plan is too hit up a few in shore reefs and things just out from terrigal heads and a few local beachs on the coast.

I am planning on catching a few live yakkas and maybe some squid.

I have a new combo which is a 7ft carbon fibre rod with a 3000 daiwa aird fitted with 11lb braid. Will this be ok to put some sort of rig to it for live baiting. If so what rigs do i use and what size leader and hooks.

if not i have a much heavier outfit which is a 7ft rod but weight is alot heavier suitable for boat fishing but heavier (will update soon on specifics) so what rigs etc do i hook up to this.

Cheers raiders

G'day Camo1808

Saw Your other post, the combo that you mentioned above in my opinion would have enough breaking strain to handle kings some others might disagree,

I have always gone with 20lb braid and 30lb leader on my rods and a 4000 size reel. But the second rod sounds like it would do the trick. But you always have to hope that what ever you're going after (assuming kings with yakkas and squid) doesn't reef you whilst in a yak.

Cheers,

Schembo 1,

Kingies were the last thing on my mind as i have never fished for them before so thought i woulf chase anything i can get my hook on. I think i will use the other bigger rod for bait then take the other rod for throwing plastics around. Im actually really keen to get out there in the yak.