First time beach fishing

Chanlin.mendoza

Went fishing today thought I would catch the evening incoming tide so headed to South Maroubra beach for a fish got there around 4:00pm so I killed sometime and watched the surfers ride some waves and scanned the beach trying to find gutters that they say to look out for didn't know what I was looking for after about 45mins headed back to the car to rig up my fishing rod.

Headed back down to the beach it was a bout 5:00pm loaded my line and threw it out didn't get no hits on the first couple of cast but ended up coming up with no bait it had become dark and hard to see but dealt with it as I wanted to go home with a fish had another cast 5mins later got I bite and hooked myself onto a 33cm bream didn't put up much of a fight but was good to feel a bit of action for my first beach fishing experience must have been doing something right then baited up again and threw it back out 5 mins later and reeled in an Aussie Salmon that was 35cm thought I'd have another go as I only had 5 pilchards left 10 minutes went by and something big wacked my line it ran for about 5 seconds when I went to hook the fish it felt like he spat the hook so I reeled it back in and baited up again and had another go not to long after casting in I got another big hit I knew this was big fish by how fast it was taking my line I was fighting it for about 2-3 minutes when all of sudden my line snapped and the fish was gone.

Hey mate that's a good first session off the sand.

Fishers and surfers like the same places.

The same structure but different reason. The banks are shallows that make the wave break.

The deep gutters, channels or rips are still. Highways for big fish and surfers paddling out.

Other places to look are big shore dumps, when the wave stands up high and breaks on the sand.

I reckon you got on to some tailor in the end, they damage leaders with sharp teeth.

I use gang hooks 3x4/0 for tailor and salmon, never caught a bream on that.

Were you using a single hook?

I have had big bream take a Jew bait off a 10/0 single.

I think I saw packing up the car when I arrived @ about 7 pm. I stayed up to 9:00 but did not hook up any fish. Had 4 bites though. Two from tailor, one from bream, one I think it was a shovel nose. Did not land any though.

Charles