Dolls Point - the beached wharf - Light Leaders worth it?

darrylgulp

G'day Raiders,

Yesterday arvo I headed down to Dolls point for a flick. I had never been there before, only spied it on google maps. Seemed like a good spot to have a prospect.

Curiously, when I arrived I found the wharf and the groyne completely land locked by sand. It was dead low tide, but still, had all the sand been moved by the recent storm? Pretty impressive landscaping if thats is the case.

post-35998-14319037080003_thumb.jpg

post-35998-14319037209985_thumb.jpg

post-35998-1431903734106_thumb.jpg

At low tide, you are standing at the edge of a drop off. Theres a good amount of water movement too, swirling around into the pockets scoured out of the sand bank. Looking forward to hitting this spot in the warmer months.

Fishing was pretty tough, working my way through a variety of plastics, blades and sinking stick minnows, whilst covering a hundred or so meters. Persistence paid off and I managed to pick up a nice fat trevally on the Ecogear Zx. Also got a good flatty on my favourite soft, The Zman crusteaz. I left feeling like I had scored above par.

post-35998-14319040225952_thumb.jpg

Quick question. I was fishing 5lb leader. In recent times I have only been busted off twice. Although, 5lb easily handles the majority of my catch, the two that got away were also the biggest.

As it turned dark, I was chucking a 5" jerk shad into a gutter, and thought, what if I hook a jew?! I would have a very low chance.

How do people feel about fishing light. Maximizing their haul but minimising their odds of landing those rare bigger fish?

Cheers

I head down to dolls point with mates, but I never go to the wharf as the first time i went i spotted it like that, I'm not sure how the structure has changed, but it's been like that for months. I think the google earth image may have been taken at a really high tide. I usually fish with friends on the rock groynes, and have spotted some very big fish smashing the smaller bait fish there. I have pulled up a few tailor, flathead and a huge basketball sized octopus there, but it snags alot which sucks! Bait has worked the best for me, with chicken picking up the most.

Always rig for what you're targeting is my rule. It does suck if you get busted by something big that happened across your lure, but it's the nature of the game. If I ever suspect a good fish, I'll up my gear. Very rarely fish anything heavier than 10lb on SPs and small lures like blades anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Dolls Point Wharf or the bus stop as we now call it was surrounded by sand by the council. They dumped tonnes of it during the dredging of the Bay for the new container terminals a few years back and pushed the beach out by dozer. May also be in response to a couple of drownings and kids/ teenagers jumping off the old wharf as they do... all that "take no personal responsibility" garbage that is resulting in the Nanny state we live in. The result is the beach now drops off directly into the main channel instead of the kids friendly gently sloping beach and shoreline.... Still saw some nice whiting taken by a few old fella's the other day so not all bad I guess.