On the Hunt For That Drummer

bretto101

as ive posted before ive been reading and learning the tricks for catching drummer . ( im so keen to land one ) .

My Rig Basic 9' beach rod , small sinker straight to hook about 15lb braid to about 20 or 30lb leader..

headed up to north wamberal got a little cungovie live nippers and a bit of bread .

when i found my spot , the wash was a bit to full on to start the burly as it would of just washed away .

rigged up cast out aming close to the rocks to try and get the pigs to come out for a run , but the dam line was catching every little current /wave and just washing up near my feet .i have read to fish as light as possible but this was a joke !

i upped my sinker to #2 bead , and boom , on the cast i got the distance i wanted and the position . then yep , as it happens another set comes in and washes my rig every where . by this satge im not to happy. no bites on cungie ( not a huge fan of that never get a single bite ) or nippers ( i catch every thing on live nippers ) .

the swell died a bit and i started to pick the correct times to cast between sets , felt a little nibble,it felt like a wave a brushed my line , then again ,STRIKE ! Bang , not a bad blackie ,, Not long after that , a nice bream both on nippers .

that bream took off like a salmon , haha .

had a fun morning was tough work but im still on the hunt ! as im on a/leave from work ill try again tomorrow and let you no . any extra tip much appreciated

brettopost-31307-0-85272200-1432117623_thumb.jpg

Try peeled prawns, Drummer love them. And if you are having trouble with the wash try using a Bobby Cork to suspend your bait a meter or so above the bottom (trial and error), punch plenty of bread burley around the float and into the wash and I will bet you will get your Drummer. No Risk! And you will get Bream and Trevors as well.

Cheers

Paikea

Peeled Prawns running ball sinker size 3 or 4 cungie works ok the reddish color on the end stays on the hook better the rest throw in the drink for burley. Have patience my man because they will eventually come and when they do HOLD ON.

Dont despair, you will soon tangle with these rugby balls!

fish fresh baits, burly with bread, sand and weed. fish as light a sinker as possible. even better none at all.

My best advice is to cast into the whitewash, Drummer love super shallow water, not the deep stuff which seems more appealing to fish. i'm talking 1-6 feet of turbulance.

If you want to catch your first drummer try pot holeing crevacises, rockpools and the wash edges with a handline, drummer love hiding in that tight washy structure.post-17369-0-19681000-1432185432_thumb.jpgpost-17369-0-64104800-1432185448_thumb.jpg

Dont despair, you will soon tangle with these rugby balls!

fish fresh baits, burly with bread, sand and weed. fish as light a sinker as possible. even better none at all.

My best advice is to cast into the whitewash, Drummer love super shallow water, not the deep stuff which seems more appealing to fish. i'm talking 1-6 feet of turbulance.

If you want to catch your first drummer try pot holeing crevacises, rockpools and the wash edges with a handline, drummer love hiding in that tight washy structure.attachicon.gifIMG_1072.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5527.JPG

Some great advice and magic looking fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks and why fish light ? Someone said if I'm having trouble with the wash use a Bobby cork a meter from the bottom . So ate they a surface fish ? Or ??? I'm having no luck what so ever . Feeling bummed

Bretto,

Drummer hunt and hang in the caves, crevacises and under the foaming whitewash layer. While not a surface fish, they will readily take burley from the surface if there is a good trail going.

My rig consists of 20lb to about 10 feet of 20lb flouro straight to a hook, or if i am really struggling to be in contact with the bait a tiny ball sinker at the hook. The hooks i use are 2/0 mustad hoodlums, they are super strong for their size and as the drummer have tiny mouths they get a better hook up rate. You dont need big baits when targeting drummer, if you fish too heavy with your sinkers you will catch too much rubbish reef fish on the bottom. the goal is to have your baits washing around mid water, dont worry you will know when you get a hit even with slack braid.

Keep listening to advice and keep persisting. Some good advice in this thread already. I fish 9kg straight to the hook and a mid size Alvey with a 12 foot Snyderglass rod.

I buy 1kg bags of IQF royal red prawns. They last a long time in the freezer and last about 4 good trips. Drummer aren't easy as they require skill, in reading the water and in controlling your bait. Like was said earlier you have to keep the bait washing around at midwater, this isn't the style of fishing where you belt out a cast and put the rod in a holder, its active fishing where you need to be able to let line out, or mop it up depending on the current etc. I can't wait for your first pig report. Oh that's right, you have to land it as well, they are tough fish to land under any circumstances :)

Matt

Its actually a good point, if you can find some locals that can show you what to do. There is a bloke in Sydneys northern beaches that does guiding and teaches rockfishing. I learnt my rockfishing from blokes who had been doing it for years, its the best way to learn and the best way to learn how to stay alive. Be careful, May is one of the most dangerous months for rockfishing.

Matt

I think using braid would be counter productive. Bust offs are part of the game and it takes you more time to get a bait back in the water. 20lb mono straight through mate. braid floats when you want it to sink.

Correct,using braid and a leader is a pain due to constant hook replacement,I just use 15 or 20 lb Vanish fluro line{not leader}.just keep a small pack of hooks and ooo/oo/o ball sinkers in your pocket.That way when you get busted up its only 45 seconds and you are fishing again.