Light estuary rod help please!

sneakyflicks

Hey guys!

Looking at a new light rod and reel set up.

I've heard some good things about the drunken monkey (1-2kg) and itchy twitchy (1.5-4kg).

Also thinking about the new nitro vapor. 1-3kg.

Vapor is about $329. Lifetime warranty.

What is your opinions on these and other rods you recommend.

And reels to match!

Thank you very much fellow raiders!

Edited by sneakyflicks

Snapped a drunky monkey on a small flat head 2nd cast.....overpriced rubbish

Bought a Bluesteel Ultra light Estuary $99 and haven't looked back. Its fantastic I matched mine up with a Redback 2000. Again great stuff very smooth.

I have a 2 piece Itchy Twitchy and I'm very happy with it. Handles bream and medium-sized flatties without any issues. You do have micro guides on it though, so smaller knots/thin braid and leader are essential. Also retails at under half the price of the Vapor.

Yea it does retail a lot cheaper.

I have heard great things, and not so great things of the itchy twitchy breaking on cast ect. It's like 50/50 good to bad ratio. :/

My thought is if I buy the itchy, I'll get all twitchy and want the vapor ;) haha..

Thanks for input so far guys. Means a lot

Go into a decent shop on the coast and have a feel of a few rods and price is not always the best indicator.

Any decent mid range threadline in the 1000 to 2500 size will be great.

You were doing ok with the set up you had at the entrance maybe just a lighter rod and I would try 4 lb fireline as its great for casting and you get far less wind knots.

I have a rod called a blood python and its the best light rod I have ever used.

Regards Stewy

Thanks stewy.

The light outfit is my brothers :/ lol

plus I know if I get something half decent I'll always want something else haha.

So lost on what to get, plus work has been really slow lately so that doesn't help :(

Have you heard of sas braid? My mate reckons it's amazing but I think 6lb is the smallest they have and he thinks it's perfect for bream/eps and even lands Jews on it.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Im using Lox ambassadors in 1-3kg and have a few of the browning synergys also 1-3kg.. The brownings have a slow taper and I find them nicer for flicking plastics whereas the lox have a faster taper and a great for vibes and hardbodies.

As suggested the crusis rods are also nice and a lot cheaper if your not worried about having top end hardware/guides.

Of the ones you listed the vapour is an awesome rod, the blank and build quality on the nitros are excellent. And they will stop fish well above their weight.

I know people are fans of the Gen blacks but after playing with a few models they haven't quite impressed in the same way the nitros have.

My 2c

I wouldn't go a drunken monkey or itchy twitchy for a general purpose light estuary outfit there taper is too fast I have the drunken monkey and only use it for gulp crabbies on light jigheads or small sinking stick minnows which it is perfect for A couple of mates have itchy twitchys and only use them for throwing cranka crabs on flouro The best all-round outfit I have and its used for plastics HBs and surface walkers is a shimano lure project minnow coupled with a 1000 stradic FI