Little Wobby - Hawkesbury River

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

I have bit the bullet and booked a little cottage in Little Wobby - Hawkesbury River with a private jetty next weekend on a solid recommendation from a friend that I may finally get my first jew.

I have been given some basic landbased tips on the area however I have no idea how it is fishing at this time of the year - especially with all the rain.

More than willing to share my experiences of the weekend to anyone who may fish the area from time to time.

The basic plan is to fish unweighted strip baits at night for bream and live baits for Jew, hopefully there are some worms about in Newcastle early next week to take for some whiting etc (PM me if you would like some info on the few beaches good for worming in Newy).

Cheers

Hello mate,

I stayed at a place there a few years ago for New Year's Eve. It is Jew highway along the shoreline. Ended up landing 3 nice Jews for the weekend but learnt some lessons along the way. 1. Don't leave your rod unattended! It was fair way to the house from our jetty. I returned with beers twice only to be told by the guys next door that one of rods had gone off its head! I fished with live bait (used little herring that I caught under the jetty). Pinned them just after the back dorsal on a 6 Gamagatsu live bait hook. I fished one outfit with a straight running sinker to swivel and leader rig. The other rig was a paternosta style rig, where I had the sinker on the bottom of the rig and the live bait hooked up off a dropper about 45cm above the weight. I caught all 3 Jews on this rig. also, don't be lazy if fishing the middle of the tides. If you see your rigs running too much, put more weight on until youre holding. It's bloody deep through there! good luck. always wanted to go back but so many other places to fish as well. Let us know how you go! Chappo

Keen for a fishing trip with my uni mates after exams. Have been looking at some cottages on the hawkesbury, very excited to see how you go so that we can get ours booked in too for the holiday! Would be awesome to pick up that Jew. Do you have any cottage recommendations for around 6 people? Feel free to PM me. I would love to hear some of your land based tips aswell :D

Best of luck for your trip, excited to see that report :fishing1:

Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind and stock up on lead!

Chappo, that's some great info thanks for taking the time to reply. I'd be over the moon with 1 jew for the weekend. Anything else would be a bonus. I went out today and bought some 30lb mainline and 30lb flouro carbon leader on the advice of the staff, also snagged 2 55lb handlines so it will be interesting if I get a hit on one of them! A friend has said don't be shy with bait size and go up to the 500g mark for both livies and strip baits, I'll also look at snagging some little herring as you mentioned. I will give some feedback after the trip on this post in a little over a week :)

Allen, thanks for the post. A great website with many cottages in the area (most with private jetty's) is HawkesburyRiverRealEstate/HolidayLettings - I almost booked a place on Dangar Island which is also a ferry/boat access only.

Cheers, James

Hey mate,

When it comes to Jews in the hawkes, dont hesitate to go big, 30cm+ livies work and absolute charm. If the bite is a bit slow, fresh squid (Doesnt haveto be super fresh, i sometimes use some bought at seafood stores) strips tend to get heaps of smaller ones and snapper, but always have bigger livies out in case. Also, when the light is a bit dim, fresh baits like tailor and yakka can be filleted or cut in half and they sometimes work better at night, but they get picked at way more than livies.

Good luck mate!

Thanks for the advice guys, had a great weekend and put a full report up in the fishing reports section.

Happy to provide any additional info on the fishing over the weekend, just leave a comment with what you need to know on that report and if I can help out I will.

Cheers, James.