Regular checks on your outboard

NaClH2OK9

Hi. Thought I'd quickly share an experience I had at the weekend.

I spent the day trolling and fishing about 20k south and returned to the hacking without issue ( apart from a lumpy sea and not enough fish)

The wife wasn't ready to be picked up from bundeena so I killed the engine off jibbon and cleaned the fish and started cleaning the boat to save time.

When I came to go again I found that unpleasant sound of a starter motor turning but not kicking the engine :(

I tried again but still nothing.

I pulled the cowling expecting to find a broken starter shaft but fortunately the starter bolts were just loose. ( fortunately not gone)

I keep a small to reasonable tool kit on board and two tightened bolts saw me back in action.

My point is not to say carry tools. That's obvious. But for all the times I've pulled the lid off my outboard to do a visual inspection. I've never checked bolts are tight.

It's added to my routine maintenance. And I'll be checking bolt sizes and getting some spares.

Lol. I've found how my boat handles and learnt a lot about the sea ( in no small part to all the help you have given me mate) I wouldn't have a drama going to browns in mine.

Unfortunately being a shallow v alloy hull it would be a very slow run and time to turn young as soon as I was there!!!

Would have given you a call for last weekend but knew the conditions were a bit cactus.

Steve.....forgive me Im a mechanic...........toolbox I agree with, but if you go and buy the exact bolts for the starter motor as spares (because they came loose, and if they had fallen out would jave stayed in the outboard housing anyway) then you may as well get some spare head bolts, and flywheel bolts, prop nut.....well actually a spare starter, propeller, maybe a .........................

How bigs your boat!

One Tape, cable ties, basic tool kit, logged in to Marine Rescue, phone, a good radio.

Ian I've got all you suggested just no spare bolts.

I'll be getting some self tappers and threaded bolts and nuts to use as lock nuts. ( not exact matches just for the starter)

I had the engine tilted up to remove the cowl and can imagine the 'plop' noise of the bolts going in the drink when I lift the lid.

I think Ryder makes a good point too about bolts for the cable links.

The sort of thing that's easy to fix with a couple of universal m4 m6 m8 nut bolt sets.

Boat is 5.2m

• 2 weeks later...

I never carry that much tools because if the motor doesnt work and i am not beached, there is no way i can work on the motor anyway. Well on the boats i have had, the motor always seems out of reach. Getting something off the prop is hard enough when floating away.