Will the real reel please stand up

GreyNurse

G'day Raiders,

I wonder if others have shared this vexing situation;

I decided that I would track down the schematics for all the reels I own. Surprisingly, I was able to find schematics for many of my old reels. I'm talking 1986-90 vintage, which was wonderful.

Just as surprisingly, I've had great difficulty in finding the schematics for reels I have purchased in the past 10 years. Actually, the more recent, the harder they are to find. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that some of these recently purchased reels are badged under a known name, as part of a combo for instance, but the actual manufacturer is anybody's guess. Am I being a conspiracy theorist here, or do you think that the idea might hold water?

Guest no one

Working in the merchandising game myself its something that would be done only if the standards of the brand were met, and then it would still be classed as the brand which it was badged as.

An example of what i mean - my company sells basic white t-shirts, 10,000 units would all have the same product code, barcode, swingtag, hanger, design, labels... even though i'd use 5 different suppliers in 5 different factories to make them.

Just because the Brand doesnt make it in the same location doesnt mean its not the same brand. If a brand was to badge any product it is claiming ownership to the design, therefor there must be schematics around for it. Email the brand and ask them to supply them- i bet they will.

As for buying someone elses product and sticking their badge on it would be illegal without their consent. But never the less, an Ugly Stik is still an Ugly Stik no matter if Abu Garcia made it in their factory and sold them to Shakespeare to label as Ugly Stiks.

Get what I'm saying?

Nursie

Your bang on the money

There are any number of stock standard reels produced in China and they will put any name you like on them and if you pay them enough they'll even put Made in the USA on them.

Pfleuger Salt, designed for Australia by Australians is also a Penn Battle (let the Battle begin). Funnily enough a Salt is dearer than a Penn battle.

There are also any number of knock offs of the Abu 6500 and 7000 on the market from different manufacturers

Working in the merchandising game myself its something that would be done only if the standards of the brand were met, and then it would still be classed as the brand which it was badged as.

An example of what i mean - my company sells basic white t-shirts, 10,000 units would all have the same product code, barcode, swingtag, hanger, design, labels... even though i'd use 5 different suppliers in 5 different factories to make them.

Just because the Brand doesnt make it in the same location doesnt mean its not the same brand. If a brand was to badge any product it is claiming ownership to the design, therefor there must be schematics around for it. Email the brand and ask them to supply them- i bet they will.

As for buying someone elses product and sticking their badge on it would be illegal without their consent. But never the less, an Ugly Stik is still an Ugly Stik no matter if Abu Garcia made it in their factory and sold them to Shakespeare to label as Ugly Stiks.

Get what I'm saying?

I understand what you're saying Ed,

Back in the 90's, I learned that Uniden badged 90% of the world's cordless phones. That information came from Uniden themselves. And I've done what you have suggested. I emailed the company that actually has the trademark on a particular reel and still retails it exclusively. The brand name is that of another successful tackle manufacturer / supplier, which is interesting, but I'm sure they will come through for me.

And I know that some people might think that chasing parts and schematics for reels that have been well and truly superseded might be tilting at windmills, but there is the satisfaction that you are not only maintaining your gear well, but that many reels of yesteryear worked very well out of the box (save for having to hand lap the drag washers), and it costs very little to increase the longevity by good maintenance.

Nursie

Your bang on the money

There are any number of stock standard reels produced in China and they will put any name you like on them and if you pay them enough they'll even put Made in the USA on them.

Pfleuger Salt, designed for Australia by Australians is also a Penn Battle (let the Battle begin). Funnily enough a Salt is dearer than a Penn battle.

There are also any number of knock offs of the Abu 6500 and 7000 on the market from different manufacturers

And therein lies the rub Crossfire63,

There's any number of web sites that post the Schematics for a huge range of reels in PDF format. But if i own, say, a Snoklehead 2000 reel, which is actually a Basketcase 2001, which is the popular brand, how do I match the hatch? Good thing I'm unemployed at the moment. I actually have a bit of time between job applications to do the legwork.

I normally don't buy a reel unless it comes with a schematic in the box.

Most good reels do

It also needs to be in English. I got caught once with a reel that had instructions in every language but English and that reel was from one of the major manufacturers.

Edited by Crossfire63

Bit off topic here but thought I would share.

I bought a bike from aConda for $350 at 'half price'. So should be a $700 bike. My wheel came loose the other day and I took it off. Was looking at the Shimano bearings and it said Made in China!! on a $700 bike I was very disappointed. I asked the guy, what does it take to get Shimano, Japanese bearings... $800.

Now I went to a bike shop in Nth Sydney, they had a bike there for $450, I quite liked it. I asked him, are these Shimano parts from China or Japan? He said all Shimano is made in Japan! ....sure!

OK, I've tracked down schematics for all but two of my reels. I'll be off to OPSM for a new pair of specs after this. Geez, some of those schematics could have been scanned a bit darker! Anyway, I'm now calling on fellow Raiders for a bit of an assist. The last two reels I'm chasing schematics/ parts listing for are:

Gladiator BB200 - I've a feeling that this reel has been distributed under a few names. I bought it from a local tackle store's bargain bin for $70 in 2012. Gladiator at Chester Hill did supply it, but it is no longer listed on their website, and I've not received a reply from them to date. I'm not hopeful, but judging by the helpfulness of the members her, I might get a pleasant surprise.

Seamartin Mark II - I've had this reel since the late 80's. It's still in great condition. I bought it new, but have lost the booklet that came with it years ago. Maybe someone still has one and, if it contains the schematics. can scan it and PM me?

If you want me to add pictures of these reels, just say so, and I'll make it so.

Edited by GreyNurse