Where to find Gummy Sharks around Cronulla

NaClH2OK9

With few reports of big snapper on the reefs and the palagics not playing much at the moment. I thought I'd turn my attention to edible sharks. I'm thinking anchoring in the mouth of the hacking after dark may be the go but would appreciate any advice on likely spots.

I have caught a couple up on the sand behind the Merries Reef while drifting for flathead in the middle of the day and know of a few more caught around Wanda way off the beach at night while targeting jewfish but in terms of a particular spot nothing firm other than that general area.

I think your gummy sharks are very similar to our smoothounds here in the UK. They are a real good sporting fish on light gear,peeler crab being the top bait for them .

Here is a picture of one that grandson Lewis caught last summer - think he looked a bit pleased :sun:

post-34124-0-62796300-1433910603_thumb.jpg

John

Yes John. Same thing. I used to try for them and tope in North Wales.

I'd keep the peeler crab for bass though ( but not very successfully)

Head over to our caravan on the Mull of Galloway on Friday and intend to stay for about a month. Smoothounds will be target fish along with bass from the shore. Lure fishing for bass really pulls my string - although I blank more than I catch !!! :sun:

John