Sunline Pe rock 6lb casting problems

Day go

Hey

I recently bought some 6lb sunline rock Pe and spooled on my Stradic 2500 for casting lures for flathead and bream. After two days of casting lures I found I was getting a lot of knots.

The knots formed as I was flicking a long cast, the line seemed to follow through the runners and bunch up on itself. The knots I use is an Albright knot 8 up 4 down and I double up the braid. Also using 6lb leader

Can anyone give me advice on what I'm doing wrong

Cheers

Rick

Edited by Day go

Guest 4myson

How did you end up spooling it on your reel ? I had a mate who would just throw the new spool of line in a bucket or leave it on the floor while spooling it onto his fishing reel & he would always result in line twist & knots . Get your Misses , kid or mate to run a pencil threw the Center hole of the new spool & hold it while you spool it onto your reel . You'll find you won't get any line twist which will result in knots .....

Line twist will forever be a problem to some greater or lesser degree, regardless of reel type, knots, or line selection. Spinning reels will eventually cause line twist as a result of the two different ways the line comes off, then is wound back on, the spool. The more you cast, the sooner you will experience line twist which is more often manifested by unexpected knots when casting braid. In monofilament lines line twist is usually observed as you retrieve line, but is more of a problem when using sidecast reels. The terminal tackle will exacerbate the problem. A lure that is not "tuned" to run true, or whose treble hooks foul the line will spin when retrieving, imparting line twist. Kirbed hooks, or hooks that are retrieved with bait still attached do much the same.
There are a number of ways to minimize line twist. Spool your line as described by 4myson. Use straight hooks like circle hooks when bait fishing. Ensure that your lures run straight, Just because you have tied a really good line to leader knot, it does not mean you won't experience line twist. That's why it's OK to use a swivel or two regardless of whether your using braid or mono. Just be sure that you are not tying on the swivel too far up the line. You NEVER want to be winding the swivel back through the rod guides.
If you're fastidious, you can trail line off the spool at the end of a session by either walking along the beach, or letting line trail off the back of the boat on the homeward journey without anything tied to the end. Then wind the line back on, gently pinching the line through your thumb and forefinger. That should unravel most of any twist that has accumulated during the session.
One last thing, if you are casting a light a lure or bait often using a spinning reel, you can experience what might appear to be line twist, but is actually a birds nest, resulting from coils of line coming off the spool and getting caught in the guides, because of insufficient tension to lay the line back on the spool firmly on the retrieve. Some rods have a cast weight printed on them. Some don't. Best to ask your tackle retailer what the casting weight range of a rod is when buying it if possible, Otherwise, it's a matter of trial and error.

Edited by GreyNurse

Hey

I recently bought some 6lb sunline rock Pe and spooled on my Stradic 2500 for casting lures for flathead and bream. After two days of casting lures I found I was getting a lot of knots.

The knots formed as I was flicking a long cast, the line seemed to follow through the runners and bunch up on itself. The knots I use is an Albright knot 8 up 4 down and I double up the braid. Also using 6lb leader

Can anyone give me advice on what I'm doing wrong

Cheers

Rick

I use a variation of the Albright and it is the best knot I've found for leaders. I use if from 4lb right up to 113lb braid. Doubling the braid is a good idea if it is close to or lower strength than the leader. You sound like you know what you are doing there.

I would put money on your casting problem being due primarily to too much line on the spool. If you can post a pic of it that would be good, but otherwise you need to be under the spool lip by 1.5mm or so. If you have more than that take some off and see how you go.

How did you end up spooling it on your reel ? I had a mate who would just throw the new spool of line in a bucket or leave it on the floor while spooling it onto his fishing reel & he would always result in line twist & knots . Get your Misses , kid or mate to run a pencil threw the Center hole of the new spool & hold it while you spool it onto your reel . You'll find you won't get any line twist which will result in knots .....

Hey mate, I had the guys at the store put it on with a machine

I will definately take a picture next time.

One thing I do remember noticing was that it seemed to be the line to leader knot which caught up on the mainline and dragged it through the runners

I was using the Albright knot and trimmed the leader nice and close down too

I use a 2 rod length leader if that has anything to do with it

I have spider wire 6lb spooled onto same size reel and have no problems at all

Voice activated line spooler.post-33162-0-28949900-1433749160_thumb.jpg