Smoked by something at Tempe

Rah

G'day,

Hoping I can get some thoughts on what might have smoked me,

Went for a quick fish at Tempe yesterday, started at the pontoon for nought so moved round the corner closer to the airport where the Alexandria canal joins the cooks when I got absolutely smoked by something bigger than usual.

I wasn't really paying too much attention when all of a sudden line starts peeling off going left of where I was standing. This fish knew where it was going to get me snagged. There were some big head shakes and there was no stopping him with my 2500 reel and 8lb braid with 12lb leader.

Any thoughts on what this might have been? A bigger than iv come across flatty? or maybe even a small jewie?

Managed to snap the line at the double uni and went for another try but just kept on getting snagged.

Might try the same spot again at low tide so I can maybe get past the rock covered oysters to try to minimise the snags.

Cheers

Rah

Thanks Swordy,

I was hoping so. Ill be back there to get him. Ha ha. But do I have any chance with my set up?

I have never targeted or even really thought about catching a jew before. Would tightening up the drag and just putting a lot more pressure on have given me more of a chance?

Cheers

Rah

Up your leader to 16 or 20lb and the braid will hold ok and use as much drag as you think...sometimes they will turn if you grab the spool and sometimes they are just too big