Battery advice

Camo1808

Hey raiders.

So i am absolutely hopeless when it comes to batteries so i need some help. Bought a new fish finder only a cheap 180 buck one from bcf.

Will this battery be sufficient to use it off. I can charge it everynight so only need a good 8 hours use everytime. Please let me know. Cheers

f505b7b777d39fbb2fd325d4891dead9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hi Camo,

The first thing we need to know is the model of the fishfinder you have so we can check out the specifications of the unit.

The most important think is the operating voltage (probably 12 Volts) and the power consumption (in Watts).

Once you have have those calculating the theoretical battery charge life is pretty easy.

So, let me know the model number and I will give you an estimate of how long it will run on a full charge.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Camo,

The first thing we need to know is the model of the fishfinder you have so we can check out the specifications of the unit.

The most important think is the operating voltage (probably 12 Volts) and the power consumption (in Watts).

Once you have have those calculating the theoretical battery charge life is pretty easy.

So, let me know the model number and I will give you an estimate of how long it will run on a full charge.

Cheers

Jim

Hey jim.

Really appreciate your help. Battery is 12volt 45watts and will be powering a garmin echo 101. Cheers

OK Camo,

You have a 12v 8.5AH lead acid sealed battery. Recommended to be used in any orientation except upside down. The Garmin Fishfinder draws 1amp, according to the specs. So that means, with the battery fully charged, you should get 8.5 hours worth of use before the battery runs flat. In reality, you will probably get more like 12 hrs during a session, as the unit can be placed in standby mode once you are fishing, rather than searching.

That battery, unlike AGM batteries of similar rating, is able to tolerate complete discharges reasonably well, but best not to if you can help it. I'd recharge the battery after each session on the recommended charger. Best not to use a regular car battery charger. Smart chargers are the go here, and they don't cost an arm and a leg. The battery should give you years of reliable service that way.

OK Camo,

You have a 12v 8.5AH lead acid sealed battery. Recommended to be used in any orientation except upside down. The Garmin Fishfinder draws 1amp, according to the specs. So that means, with the battery fully charged, you should get 8.5 hours worth of use before the battery runs flat. In reality, you will probably get more like 12 hrs during a session, as the unit can be placed in standby mode once you are fishing, rather than searching.

That battery, unlike AGM batteries of similar rating, is able to tolerate complete discharges reasonably well, but best not to if you can help it. I'd recharge the battery after each session on the recommended charger. Best not to use a regular car battery charger. Smart chargers are the go here, and they don't cost an arm and a leg. The battery should give you years of reliable service that way.

Grey nurse that is superb info. Thank you so much. Do you mind if i ask how you found out it was a 8.5ah? Cheers

Just adding to what Nursie says.

I have a garmin echo 301c and run it off a 12volt 6.5 amp hour SLA (like yours but smaller).

Its never run out in a days fishing - but then I dont run the sounder all the time.

I purchased a charger from Jaycar - about $20 from memory. Its just like a giant phone charger - very convenient.

Cheers

Arron

OK Camo,

Beat me to it!

Sorry Camo, I meant to respond a little quicker but the boys beat me to it.

Its very hard to get the complete detailed specs on the product but here is a rough and ready formula you can use for battery life on any device.

Battery Capacity ( In Ampere Hours) Divided by the Current Draw of the Device (in Amps) X 0.85 for a lead acid battery.

The .85 factor is because the terminal voltage drops significantly around 85% discharge and this may start to fall under the minimum voltage on which your sounder will operate which I believe in your unit is 10Volts.

This revised figure would give you 8.5 X 0.85 hours which is closer to 7 hours of continuous use.

More important is the very sensible advice given by Grey Nurse that you put it in to standby mode when you are not using it.

That should make a significant difference to the battery life.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

In the case of the 100 series, there does not appear to be an auto standby mode. At least none that's documented. That being the case, just turn the unit off once you've located structure / fish until you want to move on.

In the case of the 100 series, there does not appear to be an auto standby mode. At least none that's documented. That being the case, just turn the unit off once you've located structure / fish until you want to move on.

Guys thank you all so much for your help. Looking at utilising it next sat so hoping its all hooked up by then and its all worth while. Appreciate everyones feedback hey

Good luck with it Camo,

It's always exciting to take out the new "toy" for the first time. Don't be too concerned if you don't see what you expect to see on the screen. It takes a few outings to learn to read the images, even on the more basic models. Once you get the hang of it, your fishfinder becomes a really useful tool.