Came across some old hooks ?

Bruce the Postie

Chatting to an old mate the other day, who was in the process of moving house and he was telling me how he didn't think that he would get the chance to fish anymore and would I like to have some of his old fishing gear rather than him throw it away . Well you can guess the answer to that , anyway I was going through the gear and came upon some hooks that I haven't seen before as well as some old favourites of the days gone by . So I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what and how they were used .

Thanks ,Bruce.post-5510-0-42401700-1435359085_thumb.jpgpost-5510-0-31078700-1435359102_thumb.jpgpost-5510-0-62522300-1435359121_thumb.jpg

Those old W hooks look interesting. Looks like each hook is a result of splitting one broader piece of wire. Interesting attachment point as well. Would have been used on lures like spoons and metal slabs. The 1/0 and 2/0 mustad sneck hooks are typically used for almost any estuary species. Flathead and tailor would be my target fish as they are long shanked. Nice pickup.

The double hooks from my knowledge used to be used in Europe a bit for predatory fish like pike. The stem of the hook would be feed through a baitfish much like you would with a squid spike with the hooks trailing out the back.

Thanks for the reply Nursie ,

Yeah the double hooks are very interesting , as you say they look to be made from a blade almost and divided rather than having been joined in any way . I thought they may have been used like an old squid spike except for fish , as they are pointed and blade like at the end , but my first thought was that they were used on lures .

The sneck hooks are flatted eye and I had only seen that style in smaller sizes . Does anybody still use them ?

Bruce.

In my younger days the double hooks were all we used when fishing for hairtail.

I still have a few left and they work fine, easy to thread a Pilchard on, and with a few hooks

you can leave them in the fish and retrieve them later, just using the same clip over and over.