Daiwa Lure Reel Help

Loco Mofo

Hey guys,

I finally decided to take up lure fishing and am looking for help deciding on a reel to match my rod.

I'll mainly be fishing the rocks and rivers and maybe some surf so was looking at something with a good casting range. For this purpose I decided on the Daiwa Lateo L106M, but I can't decide which Daiwa reel would suit it best. The choices I've narrowed it down to are:

• Daiwa Blast
  • Daiwa TD Sol II
  • Daiwa Freams

If anyone with knowledge or experience with these reels could offer their input, I'd appreciate it.

Mark

Guest 4myson

What size reel are you talking about ? If you want a general size I'd go the 4000 & probably go for the SOL, you'll find it has 9 bearings while the blast has only 7 . The drag are both around the same at 8kg as is the gear ratio 6:2-1 great for lure fishing , I wouldn't consider using Freams as its the weakest out of your selection . The 4000 might be an Underkill for beach fishing though ..... Hope this helps .

Thanks for the reply 4myson.

I think you're right, these might be underkill. The other reel I was looking at was the Daiwa Procargo, which is a 4500, but I wasn't sure if it was overkill for a bit all rounder sort of rod. But now that I think about it, I'll be hitting the beach/rocks more so with this set up, so maybe it is the better option. The Procargo only has 7 bearings as well compared to the SOLs 9, but has a higher drag rating (12kg) and a bigger spool and comparable gear ratio.

I have that same rod but matched with a shimano sustain. I was about to buy the SOL after doing some extensive research, they seemed like a great reel to match that specific rod but I just have a weakness for shimano gear [emoji27]

Great rod choice by the way. One of my favourites in my collection, ultra light, strong and great casting ability.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by aeb870

Thanks for the responses guys, definitely gave me something to think about.

I ended up going for a lighter outfit in the end, choosing the Lateo L86LL-S and biting the bullet and matching it with a 2013 Certate 2500 model.

Can't wait to get out there and try the new toy now!

Cheers again