Fishing Off Maroubra

ACZ

Plan A for saturday was to head to the peak, traps and hargreaves reef about 10km out but the 15knot sourtherly stopped us from doing so. Switched to plan B head to the close in gravel beds off maroubra beach in 45 metres of water.As we motored around cape banks mutton birds and sea gulls everywhere. Pulled out the spinning sticks but only managed one hit in a half hour of spinning. Hit the gravel at 830. First bait down a good flatty, next pestered by a little one. As i was bringin him up noticed he was followed by a good sized chinamen. Looked at the sounder and a good size markin showed up. Looked like chinamens were below so changed to wire droppers wth size 2 double strength suicides. For the next 2 hours the bloody leatherjackets were everywhere. Not bad size round 1 kg with the odd 1.5kg added in. Also managed 3 good flatties in between them. Note: even though the southerly wind was blowing at 18 knots we hardly moved cause the current was moven southward at 1.5 knots- no need for the parachute anchor as the wind and the current negated each other. Decided to head back to the bay at 12 30, ended up with 17 leatherjackets and 4 flatties in the killl tank. Not a bad day but have not caught a decent sized "good" fish (morwong/snapper) in months! :ranting2: anyone caught any of these desireable species recently on the reefs?

Sounds like your back up plan came good!

Has anyone ever fished around that little island in front of Coogee? Wedding Cake Island I think its called. I drive past that area every now and then, and think what a top spot it looks like. :wacko:

ACZ - its good when Plan B works and you get a good feed out of it :thumbup:

Joe - take care around Wedding Cake, particularly the northern end as its pretty shallow there.

Sounds like your back up plan came good!

Has anyone ever fished around that little island in front of Coogee? Wedding Cake Island I think its called. I drive past that area every now and then, and think what a top spot it looks like. :wacko:

69311[/snapback]

Joe,

When I was a kid I lived in Coogee and regularly fished all round that area. On a couple of occasions a bunch of the braver souls amongst us paddled out to the island on our inflatable surf mats. Its a lot further than it looks from the beach, let me tell you! There used to be a bunch of professional fishermen who line fished from boats launched from the northern end of the beach and did pretty well around the island, particularly on snapper and kingfish. Even today there is a small boat fishing club that operates from Gordons Bay, the next bay north from Coogee, whose members regularly fish that area.