Advice on a new sounder for estuary fishing

josamill

Hoping there may be a few seasoned raiders out there who can offer me some advice because I am well and truly out of my depth here! (excuse the dad joke)

My sounder isn't working any more. It is a Furuno Fcv620 and I think it's probably seven or eight years old. I bought the boat secondhand and the sounder has worked really well for around four years so I guess I can't really complain. Not sure it's the sort of thing that you would get serviced? It has literally just gone dead..... No other power problems on the boat. I need to get a replacement but I didn't really want to spend too much. I do 90% of my fishing inside estuaries in less than 10 m of water so I don't need anything too fancy. The priorities for me are ease of use, quality of display, and accuracy. Can anybody make a suggestion around a unit that won't break the bank but will deliver as A solid estuary sounder?

Thanks

Ian

Guest no one

Got an iPhone or iPad? Then for $150 you could get a good sounder - or apply to get one for free. Check out the navionics website!

The 620's are good units. If it simply wont power up I'd be getting Furuno to have a look before you start spending cash. They can at least tell you wether it is working or not. I could be something as simple as a loose wire on your power lead somewhere. Certainly worth asking before spending dollars. Secondly seeing you already have power and transducer mounted it may be worth simply buy another the same so you can plug and go instead of drilling and cutting new holes. I did see a second hand 620 being advertised on a Facebook buy and sell page yesterday for $550 if that helps. Send me a PM if that would help and I'll pass on his details.