Battery recommendations

Guest JC2311

Guest JC2311

Hi All

After the pain of not landing any keepers on the weekend, it ended with that ol' fella Mr Murphy whose law I have come to dislike.

Thanks to the saviours who towed me away from the rocks at the rear of Lion Island and to Hawkesbury Marine Rescue for the jump start that let me get back to the ramp.

I run two batteries on an isolator switch so was quite grumpy when they both decided to pack in on me.

Anyway...just wanted to ask the experts out there if anyone had any recommendations for me on make / model of battery to replace the two dead ones?

Cheers and tight lines all

Rascal

Optima batteries :)

Expencive, but I've got one in the car. A friend had one in his car, didn't touch the car for 3 years - turned the key and the car cranked as if the battery was brand new.

My car lives under cover and got driven 3 times last year - Went through 2 batteries before the optima.

I'm pretty sure they do marine batteries too.

Hi

Second for Optima, run a D34M in the boat as the staring battery and a D34 yellow top in the car as a second battery.

Having said that the house batteries are 10 year old AGMs (2x 55ah) and when I spoke to the supplier a couple of years ago he was surprised to see them still going! I think they are SSB???

Best thing I have done though was fit a blue seas battery switch and m-ACR to look after the batteries whilst I look after the fishing.

Regards

Bob

Pilchard

More important than what sort of batteries you have when boat is stored you should have the batteries on constant charge, I have had all types in the boat and settled on a optima for main and 2 off 20ah deep cycle for aux always on charge, even the old lead acid will last several years.

• 3 weeks later...

Fusion CDC75 a/h AGM x 2. $209 ea and are starting and deep cycle. being AGM dont have spillage issues. rated for under bonnet use so no problem in my boat. always use a battery isolator switch and make sure you turn switch off are use else trickle drain will/can occur despite no electrics on or in use. also get a good charger like ctek brand. costly up front but chaeaper than replacing batteries.. just my thoughts...

Cheers :biggrinthumb: :biggrinthumb: :biggrinthumb: