Jigging Rods and Rigs

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I am looking to by a rod & reel specifically for Kingfish Jigging. Any suggestions?

Additionally, I would like to know how others rig their knife jigs. I just run the main line

down to a ball bearing swivel, then a short 60lb fluro leader which I tie directly onto the jig.

What I often experience is the jig hook will foul on the leader. Perhaps I have a bad jigging technique.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

threadline or overhead and do you have a budget?

Thanks mate I should have given you that info to start.

I prefer thread lines for anything that requires a lot of reeling.

I don't really have a budget but if there is a bargain out there I will go for it.

Cheers

Jim

The normal way to rig is to have a long leader (3 - 4m) of 80 - 100lb leader tied to your braid with a suitable knot. 50lb braid is about right for the main line. With lighter leader you can get bust-offs when the jig loops over the leader.

PS: A $300 - ish overhead reel will be a lot stronger and durable than a threadline of the same price.

Edited by billfisher

your not really gonna get smashed as easily in 100m as you would in say 15m so you don't need super heavy gear. i go for a lighter reel at the moment I'm running a 4500j daiwa oceano on a 24kg jig stick theres heaps out there to choose from 50lb braid is heaps and i use a mono shock leader in 60lb tied directly to the jig make sure you're tying the jig to the solid ring not the split ring or straight to the jig

For me the Saragosa seems to be the happy medium for value for money and drag if you aren't looking at those extreme heavy tackle situations. Rod wise is huge. I have a couple of the new Black Terez but as much as they suit me there are probably another 20 on the market that could fit the bill.

Boatart, I had just sent an email enquiry to the tackle store at Caringbah, basically exactly for this size outfit for the sand use. They had emailed me back 3 Shimano reel options....and interestingly I had decided on the Saragosa..........Rod wise, between $150 and $300 there is quite a selection, so I intend to head down tomorrow and see what I like the feel of

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys,

There seems to be a few choices here and I get the comment from Billfisher that you will get a more robust overhead at $300.

Even though I have overheads I do prefer the threadline for spinning work of any kind and jigging certainly falls into this category for me.

I am not as young as I used to be and two dislocated left shoulders when I was younger have come back to haunt me!

I think I would be prepared to pay extra just to get an eggbeater robust enough to deal with the stress.

Boatart, I had just sent an email enquiry to the tackle store at Caringbah, basically exactly for this size outfit for the sand use. They had emailed me back 3 Shimano reel options....and interestingly I had decided on the Saragosa..........Rod wise, between $150 and $300 there is quite a selection, so I intend to head down tomorrow and see what I like the feel of

Let me know how you go Ian.

Thanks again boys for the advice.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Guys,

There seems to be a few choices here and I get the comment from Billfisher that you will get a more robust overhead at $300.

Even though I have overheads I do prefer the threadline for spinning work of any kind and jigging certainly falls into this category for me.

I am not as young as I used to be and two dislocated left shoulders when I was younger have come back to haunt me!

I think I would be prepared to pay extra just to get an eggbeater robust enough to deal with the stress.

Let me know how you go Ian.

Thanks again boys for the advice.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Similar boat, I have had a lamenectomy on L5 and (mechanics terms) port and polish on C5 & C6, so I'm looking for something to cushion the jigging action, also I prefer to load up the stronger right side, so left hand wind on the reel.

Prices discussed here are pretty much what was emailed back to me today. Around 300 for a Saragosa, I also was going to go with dogtooth braid, coloured every 10M, about $75

Gomoko rods $149, several choices around 200, then 250 then 300

Guest 4myson

I agree with Ian on the Saragosa , I've got a couple of 8000 set up on texaliums 10-15kg rods & they've been awesom reels over the past 4 years ! For the price you can't go past the Saragosa & the new Saltwater series look even better .... I've just bought myself the new Okuma metaloid jig stick & matching overhead reel & I am dying to give it a go !!!

Edited by 4myson

Hi Jim,

Similar boat, I have had a lamenectomy on L5 and (mechanics terms) port and polish on C5 & C6, so I'm looking for something to cushion the jigging action, also I prefer to load up the stronger right side, so left hand wind on the reel.

Prices discussed here are pretty much what was emailed back to me today. Around 300 for a Saragosa, I also was going to go with dogtooth braid, coloured every 10M, about $75

Gomoko rods $149, several choices around 200, then 250 then 300

Thanks Ian,

My research turns up pretty much the same options.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

At the moment the tackle stores are selling Daiwa Monster Mesh rods for $179 as they have been renamed under a different label, and if budjet is important then I agree that the Saragosa is a nice reel but also consider the spheros line. These have been the workhorse of the shimano range for years. I purchased a PE 6 - 8 Monster mesh and it still does my head in how light and bendy these are for their rated capacity. Like Ian I have a fusion and an artificial disk in my back so using something that gives a parabolic bend is becoming a necessity.

Edited by Zacnoel

Guest 4myson

Hey Jim , if you get a chance take a look at the Penn Conflict 8000 , fully sealed , 8 x bearings & a 30lb drag !! There on sale for $169 online ... Aswome looking reel ....

Hey Jim , if you get a chance take a look at the Penn Conflict 8000 , fully sealed , 8 x bearings & a 30lb drag !! There on sale for $169 online ... Awsome looking reel ....

Thanks,

Some good reviews around the place on that reel

Cheers

Well boys the planets have aligned ( my wonderful wife reminded me its my birthday and fathers day in a few weeks ) and I have a new budget that may stretch a little further.

This is what I am thinking... Its probably unlikely that my ancient injured shoulder will stand jigging 300 gram jigs on a 25kg Rod for too many hours but you can bet your life that if I settle for a micro jigging setup then on the right day I'll get smoked and regret I wasn't using a more robust rig.

Given an increase budget I am strongly considering a Gomoku Kaiten 15 Kg with a Stella SW 4000. This is about as light as I can get with enough grunt both in the rod and reel to handle most kings I encounter. By all accounts the Gomoku rods perform well and make hours of jigging a lot less stressful on the body than the broomstick I am using at the moment.

In case I get repeatedly smoked on the day I will switch to a 25kg combo. I will invest in a Saragosa and either match that with a new stick or just use an ugly stick I already have... unless anyone can suggest a bargain at the moment in the rod department?

Anyone see any huge flaws in my logic?

Edited by fragmeister

Guest 4myson

You can't go wrong on the Stella ... I know you said your not a Fan of the overhead set up ( neither was I ) but after using my Okuma Metaloid set up (very light but tough) I'm a convert ! Even Teflon ed got to use it on our snapper outing & loved it ! If your around Western Sydney pm me & have a look ....

Fragmeister, I'm possibly in a similar situation, health wise, L5 lamenectomy, and C5/C6 port and polish(apologies I'm a mechanic) so my upper strength and particularly stamina is not good.

When I chose my outfit on Sunday, the rod I ended up with, John was getting me to load up, he said go on pull on it, I said that's it mate that's me, well you won't break this outfit, still have plenty to go.

The other thing he said to me about micro-jig outfits, is you don't have to do the jigging action with the rod. A lot of guys wind the reel handle a full or half turn quickly. That loads the rod up, when you stop the wind, the rod springs back lofting the jig.

A lot of guys still impart the action with the rod, but the design of the rods is to let the reel do the work.

With my condition, I'll be trialling working the jig with the reel.

You can't go wrong on the Stella ... I know you said your not a Fan of the overhead set up ( neither was I ) but after using my set up (very light but tough) I'm a convert ! Even Teflon ed got to use it on our snapper outing & loved it ! If your around Western Sydney pm me & have a look ....

Thanks,

I will take a look at those.

Incidentally, still a fan of overheads generally.

I have two TLD's, Chronarch and a Tiagra30. I use the TLD's with my jigging rod but its not ideal.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Raiders,

Thanks again for all the tips and the offer of a loan rod to test from one generous member.

As per my earlier plan I ended up buying two new combos after spending a day on the water using a mates many and varied jigging rods.

Today I picked up A Gomoku 15kg Stick with a Stellar SW4000 and a Daiwa Saltist Extreme 27kg with a Saragosa 10000

The Gomoku/Stella combo is 50% or the weight of my current jigging combo and the significantly longer butt section makes it a whole lot easier to use and spreads the load through the whole arm.

The Saltist/ Saragosa is about 30% lighter than my current broomstick rig and again, the longer butt section makes all the difference.

I went the the physio earlier this week and by the Thursday Fishing trip I was right as rain. Just a pinched nerve and not really related to the weak shoulder at all.

A few tips from my mate regarding technique along with much lighter and better balanced rig and a 4 hour session seemed to go fine.

All worked out well and I got a red hot deal on the bulk purchase.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister