Rod length for flicking plastics -help

michael2203

Hi Raiders,

I'm looking at getting a new rod with the idea of flicking plastics. I'm not sure though about whether a longer rod will help with a further casting distance??? Also, any help with weight rating etc would be awesome.

Cheers

Hodgo

Hey Hodgo,

Where will you be fishing (estuary/wharf/beach) and what are you looking to catch mate? That will help to determine what weight/size of rod/reel/line you want to use. I'm assuming you're land-based if you're concerned about casting distance? Remember you can still catch good fish in close without having to launch a lure miles.

Cheers,

Adam

Plus what do you want to cast?

I have a couple of pfluegers, 7 foot 1-3 kg that cast .5 gram to 7g or ( gently) 9gram jig heads for lizards bream +whiting poppers.

I use 2 and 3 pound line.

You lose a couple of bream in the badlands and rats near structure will win more often than you, but hey, gotta hook up to lose em

I've had lower quality 6'6 and 6' rods that just felt like they didn't get enough speed through the tip when casting.

Edited by stevefish

Hi mate, as above it depends on what you want to do with it, but for my land based light luring for bream etc most of my rods hover around the 6 10 to 7ft mark. For kayak I use down to 6 foot 6 or even 6 ft, and throwing big lures off breakwall and the like I use 8 or 9 ft graphite rods. Pick the style of fishing and the length will be easier to determine

Thanks guys.

I only ever fish land based -no boat. I usually go after the usual suspects of bream, flathead and whatever I can get my hands on in the rivers and estuaries (both salt and occasionally freshwater). I've currently got a 6'6 rod with and a reel that my dad got me about 25 years ago (still works) but you know what they say about boys and their toys.

I'm currently looking at a 6'9, or 7ft rod with either a 2500 or 3000 reel. Shimano.

Cheers

Hodgo

mate personally if youre going to be flicking light lures landbased the minimum you'd want is 7 foot. Ive recently bought a 7'9 CD composite and it has made a huge difference in casting and also fighting fish since I run 4lb on it. the longer and lighter the rod the better

mate personally if youre going to be flicking light lures landbased the minimum you'd want is 7 foot. Ive recently bought a 7'9 CD composite and it has made a huge difference in casting and also fighting fish since I run 4lb on it. the longer and lighter the rod the better

Thanks Krispy. That was more or less what I was wondering.

Cheers

Hodgo