hook size

fishhed

Guest Guest123456789

According to Geoff Wilson you match the hook size with your bait size. It depends on the size of your cubes. You need enough exposed hook to hook the fish, too much exposed hook and you get less bites and more snags. Too little exposed hook and its less hook ups.

According to Geoff Wilson you match the hook size with your bait size. It depends on the size of your cubes. You need enough exposed hook to hook the fish, too much exposed hook and you get less bites and more snags. Too little exposed hook and its less hook ups.

I completely bury the hook in the cube with no exposure whatsoever and it hasn't hindered hook-ups for me yet

I don't think there is a hardline rule on this. I have caught many bream on 3 ganged pillies using 5/0s. I think that having the barb exposed will give you a better chance of a hookup.

By the same token it can put a cagey fish off taking the bait, that's just my personal observation

Guest Guest123456789

I completely bury the hook in the cube with no exposure whatsoever and it hasn't hindered hook-ups for me yet

Good for you, glad to hear you've got a method that works.

My experience has been different, but I don't use pilly cubes. I either use a half pilchard, pilchard fillet or gang hook whole pilly. I've used 3/0 gangs on large pillies where almost no barb was exposed. The fish would swallow the pilly, give me a short run then spit it out. After changing to larger hooks using more exposed barb I started hooking them.

Good for you, glad to hear you've got a method that works.

My experience has been different, but I don't use pilly cubes. I either use a half pilchard, pilchard fillet or gang hook whole pilly. I've used 3/0 gangs on large pillies where almost no barb was exposed. The fish would swallow the pilly, give me a short run then spit it out. After changing to larger hooks using more exposed barb I started hooking them.

true I guess it makes sense if you're fishing bigger baits it may make a difference