help with fishing around the Batemans Bay area

bozmanx

fellow fishers , Im fairly new to the site and have just recently purchased a boat for a bit of off shore fishing action. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some advise or locations that are worth a go in the Batemans Bay area ( I have a GPS on my sounder so there are no issues with supplying GPS co ordanites :biggrinthumb: ).

I have been out past yellow rock a couple times but when I get there I have no idea what Im looking for or where to go (deep , shallow ). I look into the ocean and it all looks the same , dark and wet.

Anyhow , any advise would be awesome , Im hoping to get a snapper or kingfish on the table.

G'day Bozmanx,

Where to start. I guess it all depends on your boat and your ability to drive it safely. There are a thousand spots inside and outside the bay within easy reach. My first advise would be to get yourself onto a local charter and go out for a day bottom bashing. It will give you a great head start on places to go which are reliable. Next, would be to join one of the local fishing clubs. They are a wealth of knowledge and great fun.

If you want to catch kingfish, learn to catch live bait like squid, yellowtail and slimies. These can all be found inside the bay. If you anchor up just inside the north east corner of Snapper Island and berley they are generally not too hard to find. Heading out of the bay to the north especially this time of year, anchor up in close along pretty much any of the headlands around sunrise. Berley hard and the snapper will come to you. There is a reef in about 45m east of Richmond Beach, which holds kings most of the year. Drifting in 50 - 60m of water east of the tollgates towards Malua Bay will usually find good flathead. Just keep in mind the Marine Park boundaries! Good luck and happy hunting...........

Dave

Thanks for the advise Dave, no problems driving the boat and its always safety first. I will give your advise a go next time I am out, I have found a nice little reef in about 8 meters off Long Beach that seams to always have bait fish, I jsut need to find some squid spots (I have a couple places in mind, just need to spend some time on them).

I have already added the marine Park boundaires into my sounder to make sure that I dont accidently drift into them.

Once again thanks , I will add a picture if I get a Kingie , Im sure I will get a snapper , its just a matter of time.