Fin-Nor rods?

Mike89

Anyone know if the surf rods made by Fin-Nor are any good?

I have been looking for a replacement for my 10' Shimano cheapie and came across a Fin-Nor Fury. It's reasonably priced at $160 and seems to be what I'm looking for.

There isn't much info online so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with Fin-Nor. I haven't seen them before but apparently it's an American brand.

If you can get a Sensor Surf for the same money I'd be buying that but they're normally $60 or $70 dearer for the 12' model. Aerowaves are marginally above a Catana. Its all about the hardware and the quality of the blank.

A Sensor Surf is normally around the same price as a Wilson Live Firbre 13'6 at around $250 which are one of the best Jewie Rods around for big fish

Is 12' the go for getting jews at the beach? 12' seems pretty long and cumbersome.

The Penn Prevail seems to fit what I'm looking for for jetties and away from the beach, but they only have 8-12kg in 9' and 12'. I'm not sure if this could do both jobs.

I'll check out the Wilson as well. Cheers for the tips.

Edited by Mike89

The prevail in the 12ft 12-20kg are okay depends what you are chasing and where. No sand spike that I could find though. The sensor surf are a beautiful rod have not caught anything really big yet though. I not a fin nor on special as a stop gap for spinning

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The prevail in the 12ft 12-20kg are okay depends what you are chasing and where. No sand spike that I could find though. The sensor surf are a beautiful rod have not caught anything really big yet though. I not a fin nor on special as a stop gap for spinning

I bought the fin nor 12ft as a stop gap before I bought the sensor surf. The sensor surf is much better and more responsive.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I ended up going for a Penn Prevail (thanks to Crossfire for the suggestion!). I got the 9ft 8-12kg. It's a great rod, in the first couple of days using it I met two other fishos with the same rod in 12ft.

Very robust and strong, although it doesn't quite match up with my 650SSM reel in terms of balance. The reel is a bit heavy. I may get a newer one soon.

I christened the rod a couple of days ago pulling in a salmon, a PB at 64cm. The rod held up superbly. The rod did seem a bit powerful for salmon, but that's not what I'll be targeting with it for the most part. Almost got another one on it yesterday - unfortunately I didn't hook up well enough and the little sucker unhooked himself when we were trying to net him. Oh well.

Cheers guys, great tips.