Solid fun in the Hawkes

Tag117

Hey Raiders

After not fishing in weeks and spending 3 days cooped up at home trying to finish a marine bio assignment for uni, i was starting to go crazy. By 3pm on saturday i had to get out of the house. Was down at my landbased spot in the hawkesbury with a mate by 5. Plan was to grab yakkas and chuck em out for jewies. Got a lot of bream, a lot of trumpeter and another fish that I've caught plenty of in the past but only realised when asked by my friend what it was that i had no idea what they're called (included a pic below if anyone can help with an ID). We did end up with 2 tiny yakkas and one huge one by sunset.

Big one went on the big rod out deep, little yakka on a little rod a little closer in and my mate chucked out a squid on his. The little yakka was eaten by a decent tailor almost straight away. Excellent fight for a fish his size (upper 30s) must have jumped almost 15 times, brought him in kept him for a feed. While we were dealing with him, my mates squid had been completely picked. He chucked a new squid out and within seconds of it hitting the surface it got smashed. After its first run though, we thought it was lost. Slack was reeled in, turns out he'd just been swimming towards us :biggrinthumb: Very pleasant surprise. Turned out to be another tailor just shy of 40cm. I lobbed the second little yakka out and proceeded to teach my mate how to bleed a fish. Didn't get to finish my explanation because the livie was hit straight away. The take was a lot slower and the fish a lot heavier. I wasn't sure what it was as it was fighting a lot deeper. After a while of coaxing in on 8lb line turned out to be a bigger tailor than the last two (46cm).

By now the big livie had been shredded by squid, wind was picking up, and we figured we'd just come back for jew another night... I really need to get back into the jewfish tunnel vision mindset haha, since the fishing has started getting good again i keep getting distracted by other species. Nonetheless, an excellent session, it was definitely the break from uni work i needed!

post-32294-0-48249600-1445746194_thumb.jpg post-32294-0-33756600-1445746214_thumb.jpg post-32294-0-69642000-1445746233_thumb.jpg

Well done on the Tailors , a few Crackers right there.... Next time take a Fillet of one of the tailors & send that out on a couple of snelled 5/0 hooks . One of the best baits out there for JEWS !!!

Good work on the Tailor

That little fish looks to be a Sydney Cardinal Fish

Couple of nice tailor there mate. Good work on the livies.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Good stuff. If bled right one of the best eating fish. Even more fun with lures and light gear

Thanks a lot guys!

Well done on the Tailors , a few Crackers right there.... Next time take a Fillet of one of the tailors & send that out on a couple of snelled 5/0 hooks . One of the best baits out there for JEWS !!!

I sometimes use tailor fillet, got smoked by a huge one once! Thanks for the tip though, couldnt really be bothered that night :P

Nice report and good work on the tailors! Picked one up myself drifting off Lion island on sunday, would've been a 2nd if my won had bothered to set the hook - ah well he'll learn!

What's your technique for bleeding them? We basically just cut the head off and let it drain into a bucket, wasn't pretty but seemed to do the job and it ate alright for last night :-) probably a better, cleaner way though.....

Nice report and good work on the tailors! Picked one up myself drifting off Lion island on sunday, would've been a 2nd if my won had bothered to set the hook - ah well he'll learn!

What's your technique for bleeding them? We basically just cut the head off and let it drain into a bucket, wasn't pretty but seemed to do the job and it ate alright for last night :-) probably a better, cleaner way though.....

Thanks! I just cut under the neck down to the spine and crack the head back, you dont need to cut the whole head off, but i dont think theres any pretty way of bleedimg fish haha