The peak / 12 mile rigs

fisholb

Hi all. Were planning to fish the peak and 12 mile for the 1st time. Just want to know which rigs works best. Will the paternoster rig or running sinker rig be good enough??? Which bait??? Any tips and tricks??? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

From my understanding, generally you don't want to be drifting the very bottom - its an absolute mess down there!

Paternoster is ideal, I'd still be trying to keep it off the very bottom to stop the sinker from snagging.

Knife and slow jigs apparently go well out there if you want to avoid bait.

Not that I'm an expert, but half pilchards on a paternoster would be my pick. Be wary though, the current can be quite quick through there so expect to drift quite quickly.

i don't like the paternoster rigs they don't allow the live bait enough free room to look natural use a running sinker rig with a trace of about 1.5m to the live bait make sure your sinker is very heavy or you'll never make it down. once on bottom bring the bait up about 10-30m depending on where u can see the kings on the sounder. best baits are live slimy mackerel or yakkas but squid strips work too. id avoid pilchards they're too soft and would break up on the way down. jigging is another affective method.

If chasing Kings is the aim then I agree with SF12 with a variation and no they don't die as long as pegged through nose or bridled.

Rather than running sinker use an elastic band with a snapper lead attached to it and twist it on above the swivel, with a couple of 1/2 hitches. Quicker way of changing lead weights to suit conditions and if they get to the bottom, one less thing to snag, as it breaks off.

Easiest bridle is smallest cable tie available, threaded through the top of the fish's eye socket from left to right eye. Close cable tie loosely to form a loop that will pull down back against the skull.. Place hook in loop created point up wards and shank forwards and tighten down cable tie.

Through the nose sometimes results in them working free, but this way they stay connected to hook forever and they don't die. Good for downrigging as well.

Paternoster Deadbaits 100%

Live Baits - I run a heavy sinker with a running live bait slider roughly 1.5m long and 1m from swivel to weight giving the live bait enough room to move about. Drop it to the bottom and take 3-4 winds up. that gives the bait a lot of room to move with little chance of snags.

for 12 and peak i wouldn't only wind up 3 or 4 winds kings don't usually sit that close to the bottom there (depends on the day though) I've caught only 30m down its really important to have a good sounder so u can mark them and put your bait right into them. in close 3 to 4 winds is a good rule but in the deep one day they can be 5m off the bottom and the next they'll be sitting 50m up.

for 12 and peak i wouldn't only wind up 3 or 4 winds kings don't usually sit that close to the bottom there (depends on the day though) I've caught only 30m down its really important to have a good sounder so u can mark them and put your bait right into them. in close 3 to 4 winds is a good rule but in the deep one day they can be 5m off the bottom and the next they'll be sitting 50m up.

Too right, what I should have said is put the weight below the school, however when the school isnt visable on a sounder or no reports of them about, 3-4 winds of the bottom will keep the rig from snagging while drifting.

Paternoster for your live baits, lower them down VERY VERY damn slowly as the kings will hit them as they go past. Last time I was at 12 Mile a month back, it was brutal, the kingys were less than 5metres off the bottom and they buried us several times. Not to mention by lowering your lives down very slowly they wont fall off your hook unless of course you bridle them or you wont kill them by ploughing them straight into the bottom with a house brick.

Dan

Nothing more to add to the great live bait rig suggestions.

But if the kings aren't playing 2 hook paternoster and good quality dead bait can produce other good fish there. Excellent spot for long fin Pearch. Just hope the current is slack enough to get down with less than a brick.