New Species On S/p's

Jewhunter

G'day all. Hit Hen & Chicken again this morning for a quick session with the plastics. The Bream were there but very timid. Managed 1 of 30cms. There was heaps of big mullet swimming around so I started flicking at the schools. After 10 minutes I finally hooked up on 1 & didn't it go! A fun fight saw me land my first mullet on a plastic. He went 40cms to the fork & was right on 1kg.

I took him home for Jewie bait!

If any Fly Fishos are out there it is worth having a crack down on the flats. Burley up with bread & get those bread flies wet. I reckon you'd have a ball.

Cheers

Nice one, never thought you could actually catch mullet on SP's. I wouldn't think they would be tempted but I guess you proved that theory wrong.

I've also seen many Luderick taken on 3" minnow's. grin2:

Cheers,

Spizza

Guest bluecod

Well done on the SP mullet, though I don't know why people knock them as a table fish. Admittedly they are oily, but when they are fresh caught they go OK on the plate.

Guest madsmc

Nice catch Jewhunter. I've been after a few mullet here in the top end of Lake Macquarie with no luck at all on bread baits and on fly. And you go and get one on plastic! You're a lucky man :biggrin2:

Anyway, hope it goes alright as a jew bait.

Shane

:1fishing1:

I know a place near my house where there is always a fairly large school of mullet hanging around and I'm pretty keen to catch a few to use as bait...

What is the best method for catching them?

What sort of SP did you get the mullet on Jewhunter?

Was on a 3" bass minnow in pearl/watermelon Tony. I reckon a smaller slider that looks something like a maggot might be the go if you wanted to target them.

Nice one Jewhunter, that is a big mullet. My biggest one down the lake is 38 cms, so that one you caught is a whopper! I'll have to get down there and have a swoff, I agree with Matrix, mullet are under-rated, they go hard as! One of my favourite fish on fly. Any hints as exactly where to go down there, Iv'e never fished there b4, but heard quite a bit about it.

Nice one Jewhunter, that is a big mullet. My biggest one down the lake is 38 cms, so that one you caught is a whopper! I'll have to get down there and have a swoff, I agree with Matrix, mullet are under-rated, they go hard as! One of my favourite fish on fly. Any hints as exactly where to go down there, Iv'e never fished there b4, but heard quite a bit about it.

G'day Narra.

If you head down Great North Road towards Abbotsford then a couple of streets past Lions road turn left. There is a very small boat ramp there. Anywhere along that shore line is good for them plus bream, lizards, whiting & flounder. Just fish it @ high tide ( 1.4mtrs+).

You'd kill em on the fly.

Cheers.

yep i have caught on ot two on the pastics while chaseinf bream and bass

sure wish some of the other fish would fight like a mullet but hey what they lack in eating they make up for being the gun crab bait :biggrin2:

caught the one below from my kayak while chaseing bream in the canals and gave a very good acount of it's self and a nice clean hard fight

post-1190-1129634348_thumb.jpg