rod-reel for throwing lures

will_l

Hi,

So I'm looking at possibly getting a new rod/reel for throwing poppers, SP's etc as I just can't get any casting range from my jigging rod. I've looked at a few different rod's and reel's but just cant figure out what's good and what's not. I'd want it to be able to handle some decent kings and jews. Looking to spend probably max 350. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Will

Edited by will_l

I'd say rod you're looking at something like a shimano raider or jungle stix, pflueger trion. I've got the jungle stix in a 1-3kg model and it's going pretty good I'm quite happy with it would recommend one of the longer and heavier models.

Reel wise where do you start? Everyone has their preference of brands. Daiwa, shimano and Abu Garcia are what I'd sort through.

I think it's easier to select a quality rod blank and from there match it to a reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max 350$. Really can't go any more but I won't something I'll use for the next few years.

I agree that I think it will be easiet to find a rod then get a reel. So I guess I'm mainly looking for ideas on a nice rod that has decent casting distance but can also handle kings and Jews m. Prefer to be on the heavier side then lighter side.

I have a raider mexican fire II 4-7kg, 2.1m I think. Its a nice rod and can handle quite a bit. Mainly for jews off the boat and landbased on the Georges, casts 1/2oz weights and 5/7inch plastics no dramas and can also cast a 150mm rapala type hardbody - though a killalure "jewie" lure is a little heavy for it. Using it down the beach, it absolutely rockets 40gram metals for tailor and salmon, quite fun when your getting 60cm fish from the surf. I team it up with a Diawa Sol 3000 in both instances.

Shimano have just announced a new raider line up, check out their new range. Guessing they be in the 120-150 range.

I have a raider mexican fire II 4-7kg, 2.1m I think. Its a nice rod and can handle quite a bit. Mainly for jews off the boat and landbased on the Georges, casts 1/2oz weights and 5/7inch plastics no dramas and can also cast a 150mm rapala type hardbody - though a killalure "jewie" lure is a little heavy for it. Using it down the beach, it absolutely rockets 40gram metals for tailor and salmon, quite fun when your getting 60cm fish from the surf. I team it up with a Diawa Sol 3000 in both instances.

Shimano have just announced a new raider line up, check out their new range. Guessing they be in the 120-150 range.

Am I right in saying that there's a large range of raiders available I was looking at them too when getting a bass combo but found I wanted something lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The daiwa demon blood rods are pretty nice and within your price budget. I got one on special at bcf for around $225 but I think they normally go for $300 to $350. I got the 72mh and it casts well for its short 7ft length, but if you wanted something quite a bit better for casting, look at the 962H , it is 9ft 6 inches. They have Sic K guides and the blanks are of good quality considering the price. If I could change one thing about them, I would have the join moved down to the handle position rather than its current mid point position, but saying that...rod 2 piece join technology has evolved quite a bit in recent years and even the way the join is now is pretty solid.

I have other rods that blokes like to write their name all over, and after comparing those rods to the old demon blood, I estimate I paid around $200 just for that bloke to write his name on there. I have gone right off that stuff.

Edit : Just noticed you needed reel also, so possibly the rods I have recommended are pushing your budget. But if you did happen to spend a little more and get one, a great real to suit would be a shimano stradic FK 5000.

I have nearly doubled your budget haha, but they are good little reels.

Edited by smashdcrab

They are ok, just basic alconite guides which I have on a few rods and they seem to be fairly durable , but obviously nowhere near as smooth as Sic guides so they wont cast quite as far, but they will do the job. Keep in mind, 6ft 9inches is getting fairly short for a dedicated casting stick. I would suggest maybe one of the terez in the 8 foot model if you decided to go that way.

<p>Fair point about the guides however the ones you mention (carbon fibre?) seem to only be on light rods and very expensive. Not looking for the best of the best, but mainly something that will do the job well and last a long time.</p>

<p>Edit: The Tcurve Bluewater offshore rod looks good. It has sic guides, 2.3m long and has a 15-24kg line weight</p>

Edited by will_l

The t curves are pretty nice. I don't own one myself but my mate has a couple and I have used them periodically and they feel nice in the hand. That length will let you cast fairly well, but wont be too long to give the fish an unnecessary advantage when you hook a larger fish.

If you can get that one at a good price, I doubt you would be disappointed.

I have a couple of older T-curves (were around 250ish) and a diawa sol(were around the 300 mark), they are great rods to use still and are around 4-5years old in great condition. Pretty sure the blanks on tcurve revo's are the same as my t curves these days, its the guides and reel seat/grip thats different, the revo's are a great rod also and are around the 160 price tag I think - three of my mates have them and not much difference between them all. From memory they are lighter than the older raider II, better blank as well for $20-30 more. I really dont think most people would notice much difference between a 150-200 rod compared to a 300-350 rod, do you really notice guides?

Best thing to do is go see a few shops mate, feel them for yourself, dont forget to take the reel you plan on using with it.

FYI I now have to NRX loomis rods and worth every cent if you can splurge a lot more.

Edited by mii11x

Thanks for the help! Hopefully should give me a good few years of fun.

I'm going to be using it with some 7" Jerk Shads so hopefully they produce the goods.

Will report on what fish wants to christen the new rod.

Thanks a lot,

Will

• 1 month later...

So I've used the rod 3 time's now and I'm starting to get a little worried that I've gone to big. The rod and reel are balance but it just feels like a bulky setup for throwing plastics and its hard to get short, quick whips into the soft plastic. Do you think I should bite the bullet and lose about 75-100 and downsize to the 10-15kg size? I'm using 40lb braid so would I go down in that as well. Realistically I think the largest fish I would ever attempt to catch on this setup would be a decent size king or jew around the inshore reefs of Sydney or in the harbour itself.

Let me know your opinions,

Will

EDIT: I could also possibly buy my final outfit for soft plastics which could be a 8-10kg rod 20-30lb braid and a reel to fit however I need to then justify keeping my t-curve bluewater. Are the SP's that require no action through the rod and that you can just retrieve with no flicks?

Edited by will_l

Just having a look around, would 20lb braid mainline be too light for most harbour kings? I'm looking at either a 10kg rod with 20lb line or a 15kg rod with 30lb line. I'm not sure wether the 15kg rod will be small enough though to flick and get action effectively?

Alright, so I've done more looking around. Now my current choices are based on the idea I should be able to handle most fish in the harbour and the inshore reefs with 3-3.5kg drag, thus with the ratio that drag should be set, 1/3 of rod and line breaking strain, I've been looking at 25lb with a 10-11kg rod.

So,

Braid: Sunline 25lb Super PE ($50 for 300m)

Rod: Samurai Elevate 213cm 15-25lb - http://products.samurairods.com.au/products/product/ELE-25-F70?(posting link as frogleys is the distributor of these and a site sponsor. Let me know if I need to delete it)

For the reel I'm liking daiwa but not sure on size. I dont think I will be able to get enough 25lb line on a 3000 but I'm scared that a 4000 will be too big.

Thanks a lot,

Will

Sorry for posting again but I thought I'd post one last update.

I think it might be better to just go with a Raider MF II 5-10kg with 20lb braid and a 3000 reel. This will be much cheaper and if in the end I do need to upgrade after a year or so it won't hurt the bank too much. And then possibly a Daiwa Exceler DX 3000 as a reel? They can be had for around $135

Edited by will_l

If you go with a rod light enough to dedicate to soft plastics, it wont be heavy enough to deal with decent kings. Pretty much anything over 5kg will smoke you in anything but the clearest of water...which is where kings generally dont hang out. You are really looking at 2 separate outfits .

A light soft plastic flicker which will be more suited to snapper , flathead . but could also be used to flick light lures around the 20-30g mark, and could also be used for squidding if you bought the right rod. It also could be used for catching live bait if you get into that sort of thing in future.

And a heavier outfit to cast lures for kings as you originally wanted.

I personally dont use a light soft plastic rod. I think i could use a broomstick and still get enough work on the soft plastic with enough enthusiasm. I caught some decent snapper last season with a pe3-5 stick, and i know i wouldnt have been able to muscle those fish out of their hole if i had been using a dedicated sp rod. I think some people get way to excited about the action of the plastic. 80% of the time its gets smashed on the way down on the first drop, and 20% it gets hit after i twitch it a couple times after hitting bottom. Neither of these times does the rod action really even come into it.