Stingray wound

DerekD

Was at the Basin up in Pittwater today meeting up with a few friends. Had the line set up and was getting a few bites in what looked like being a promising fishing session when one of my friends came back with a bleeding foot. Turns out he had stepped on a sting ray.

My friend is pretty well built and pretty tough to match and it was interesting to see the effect the toxin had on his system. He admitted it was pretty painful. We got him to the ranger's office and they put his foot in hot water. His body was twitching uncontrollably. What was really strange was looking at one of his larger leg muscles. It wasn't just twitching but it was rippling/moving like a wave.

The water police took him back to the Palm Beach side and the ambulance people checked him out. In the end they released him to go home.

That is one fishing experience I am in no hurry to try.

Edited by DerekD

Sorry to hear about your mate & a warning to everyone especially kids with summer here ! But glad to hear your mates doing alright .....

Whoa, we were there on Saturday with the kids. Where did he step on it, on the river side or lagoon side inside the shark net?

I didn't even consider the possibility of stingrays round there, now I'm wondering if I should get them some little wetsuit booties as they loved it there and I'm sure we'll be returning many times over the summer now that we've got the boat.....

Glad to hear your mate was alright though, you must have been sh!tting yourselves for a while!!! :1yikes:

Edited by jgrant666

It was the lagoon side but he swam across the lagoon to the flats at the back and managed to step on it there. Didn't envy him having to swim back across the lagoon to the camping section of the Basin with that pain in his foot.

Times like this I understand using the stingray shuffle when walking in the shallows.

For peace of mind worth getting the booties but in my opinion the likelyhood of it happening is still pretty small when you consider how many times people wade in the shallows many times over the summer over many years of their life.

It was the lagoon side but he swam across the lagoon to the flats at the back and managed to step on it there. Didn't envy him having to swim back across the lagoon to the camping section of the Basin with that pain in his foot.

Times like this I understand using the stingray shuffle when walking in the shallows.

For peace of mind worth getting the booties but in my opinion the likelyhood of it happening is still pretty small when you consider how many times people wade in the shallows many times over the summer over many years of their life.

Yep that would have sucked alright. I would have freaked out having to swim back after that!

Stood on one at the start of the year. Very painful indeed - incrementally got worse over the period of an hour. Turned my blood to jelly around the wound as well, very strange sight - thought it might have acted as a coagulant but didn't stop bleeding for hours on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk