best general purpose rod and reel

phill81

Hi all,

I'm new to fishraider so I apologise if this has been covered before. I have recently got myself a boat and am able to get out more and have a fish. I have a good rod and reel combo for bigger fish such as kingys etc, but am after a good general purpose rod and reel for your bread and butter species like bream and flatties etc. I like the look of the shimano stadic 3000FK paired with maybe a Shimano Raider, pflueger trion or maybe an ugly stick Gx2. I want to be able to cast lures as well as a baited hook. I like the look of the raiders but I have a feeling the raiders are more purpose built for lures only and not so much bait fishing. In a perfect world i'd buy 3 rods. one for the big fish, one for bait fishing and another casting lures and SP. Be glad to have any advice from anyone who has this sort of combo before spending $400+

I agree you need two combos as a single outfit won't cover what you want. I'm a Shimano fan so for a good quality budget combo try two of the ones I use. I mostly buy these online so PM me if you want the site.

1. Shimano Starlo Classix Medium 7’, Shimano Symetre 2500, 6lb braid mainline.

2. Shimano Starlo Classix Heavy 7’, Shimano Baitrunner OC 4000, 12-20lb braid mainline (I use 14).

Both rods come in one or two piece. You can probably get both combos for $500 at most for the pair (plus braid). The only drawback with this is that if you are connected to a big fish on the heavy combo the short butt will make it a bit harder to bring in. The workaround is to move your top hand further up the rod to get leverage.

My bigger rods are Ugly Stick Golds, which are easier to pull bigger fish (stiffer action in the bottom half and longer butt section), but more cumbersome than the heavy combo above so not good for medium work. I have Okuma Raw-14 reels on these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

Just checked the site I use and they would do $422 for the two rods and reels I mentioned. You should get free shipping for that amount. If you don't, create an account, give them an email address and save your cart. They will come back before long with offers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk