South West Rocks Advise Needed

Bracey

G'day. Heading to SWR in the first week of Feb and after any general advice for the area. Have a 6m Evolution half cabin and main targets will be mackerel, dollies and small blacks if they are around.

Any tips for crossing the bar? Seems most rig their live and dead baits with single strand wire for the macks. 2 hook or single hook rig for livies? What about bibbed lures, do they need a short section of wire as well?

Any tips on techniques for the area much appreciated.

Cheers, Bart

Edited by Bartdude

Hi Bartdude.....Great time of year to be going to SWR. The nor'easters can be annoying. Best advice for the bar..."When in doubt.....Don't"..... Go down the breakwater on both tides & watch it for sometime. Hopefully you will see some other boats coming in & out & you will see which is the best way to go across. Going out on a run up tide is usually best. A run out tide and a strong Nor'easter can be very "sporting". Watch the local charter boats they have the best knowledge.

When you decide to go out, sit back inside the breakwall in the deep water & watch again for awhile. When you decide to go....."GO"!!!!!! Don't try to turn around halfway across the bar.....Also everyone on board must be wearing a lifejacket or PFD. It is the law in NSW for any bar crossing.

Most fishos run single strand wire, 40 to 60lb is generally enough. A "stinger hook" in the tail of your live bait is good bet. Usually a small treble hook will do the trick. Both bibless & bibbed minnows work well as you can cover alot more ground. When you get a bight throw over a livie & you may pick up one of his mates. Small to medium size lures work well...the humble Xmas Tree & Red Feather jig work well. The FAD is always a good place to check out. You can find its postion on this site. Look forward to your reports

Tight Lines & Calm Seas... Hotbite

Thanks Hotbite very helpful info. One other question, do you use a small section of wire from the bibbed lure to either a swivel or ring and then mono or is it not needed?

Cheers, Bart

Edited by Bartdude

Yes mate, run a short length of wire on your minnow lures, about 2 feet should be enough. Use a "Haywire twist" on both ends, attach to a good swivel&snap like a "Sampo". Not a big fan of wire on my Marlin lures, but I do know of some fishos who do.

Yes mate, run a short length of wire on your minnow lures, about 2 feet should be enough. Use a "Haywire twist" on both ends, attach to a good swivel&snap like a "Sampo". Not a big fan of wire on my Marlin lures, but I do know of some fishos who do.

Cheers mate, will take that advice onboard.

First thing to find out is if the mackerel are in town when you get there. If they haven't made it yet no need to worry.

And 1 hook is all you need on the livies.

*I only fished SWR for 1 week in February a number of years ago. Caught Marlin fin dollys, no mackerel - no bite offs

Hi mate,

I was up there last feb and I'm going again this feb. The bar wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be. We were in a 6m centre cab and it was fine even in a ver low run out tide.

We went to grassy and burlyed up and got them on pilchards and yakkas (couldn't find any slimies at the time). You might get some on lures but from what I've heard it's pretty tough.

Good luck!

Hi mate,

I was up there last feb and I'm going again this feb. The bar wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be. We were in a 6m centre cab and it was fine even in a ver low run out tide.

We went to grassy and burlyed up and got them on pilchards and yakkas (couldn't find any slimies at the time). You might get some on lures but from what I've heard it's pretty tough.

Good luck!

Thanks Crusher that's good Intel. Do you anchor at Grassy or drift. What's on the bottom up there, reef??

Cheers, Bart

Most guys either anchor or slow troll grassy. There are too many boats there to drift. My experience is that the fish patrol the whole areas at grassy, so you don't need to anchor right in the middle of the pack. Its a VERY productive area, but mackerel are finicky and just won't bite some days. Go light on the wire (28lb) and try to keep them short. Just fish snapper gear with 20lb braid and you will have heaps of fun. The spotties are 4-8 kg, and go like the clappers. The spaniards are 10kg+. Might see you there in Feb - I will be there the 2nd weekend in a blue Pioneer centre console.

Good luck

Most guys either anchor or slow troll grassy. There are too many boats there to drift. My experience is that the fish patrol the whole areas at grassy, so you don't need to anchor right in the middle of the pack. Its a VERY productive area, but mackerel are finicky and just won't bite some days. Go light on the wire (28lb) and try to keep them short. Just fish snapper gear with 20lb braid and you will have heaps of fun. The spotties are 4-8 kg, and go like the clappers. The spaniards are 10kg+. Might see you there in Feb - I will be there the 2nd weekend in a blue Pioneer centre console.

Good luck

Appreciate the advice. We will be there first week of Feb. Black trim Evolution half cabin "Sea Eagle".