Salmonfest Part Ii

Narralakes

This is probably my last fish during the week for a while, so I was keen to see if my luck would still be on with the salmon. Early again to Roseville to put in at 5.30 am and then straight to North Head, didnt see a thing at first and thought that my luck had done its dash, then I rounded the Head and you beauty, a heap of birds and a big school working some bait. Things were a bit choppy for the punt, but I managed to get close enough to fire off some casts with the flyrod and in pretty quick time managed to boat 2 very nice fish, these were again big fish, all over 55 cms, my biggest for the day was 61 cms and took some backing on the first run b4 it slowed, yeeha! Anyhow, the schools were moving up and down between North Head and Bluefish, and I had heaps of fun for the next hour boating a few more. After about 8 am, it quietened down and the fish disappeard for awhile, so I headed to Spot X to just get some calm water. Motoring past the point, what was there to greet me but the school but they were gone b4 I could fire off a cast. I anchored at X hoping to get a king, but nothing, then after about half an hour of burleying and going deep I looked out to sea and saw about 300 metres out a huge mass of birds, pulled up the pick and headed straight out quick time. The schools were working a beat, so it was quite easy to motor to position then fire off a few casts then get in front of them again. Like last Friday, I was that close at times I saw them opening up their mouths to slirp down the tiny bait they were feeding on. I stayed for about an hour, tuckered out and left the fish biting, never thought I would leave a hot bite but I was so buggered I'd had enough. I boated about 7 fish, lost 3, one through a busted leader, the other two threw the hook while jumping, how spectacular is it when they jump! There was only one other boat out all morning and the Manly school I had all to myself! Anyhow, its been a good couple of times this week on the sambos, makes up for all the donuts. Hope you guys have a good one this weekend, family duties will see me not fishing this weekend. Here's a pic of the 61 cm salmon, my PB so far, there's a picture of the Manly school as well, what a sight to get you going.

cheers

Edited by Narralakes

Guest Jocool

Good to see your having fun out there Ken! :thumbup: Like I said on the phone...It's all coming good for you as you missed out last year. :yahoo:

Well done Ken.

Woukd have loved to have got out there myself today, but I had promised my next door neighbour I would take him out,

and unless I need heaps of berley he is a flat water option only, I'm talking mirrror flat.

Just had my next work trip cancelled so Illbe looking to get out Sunday or Monday, maybe both, with the flyrod,

Joe,

yep, finally after many times out and a big effort, the last week has been paying dividends for me, its been a highlight of my fishing experience to say the least. Once you get your new rod, we'll give those salmon a merry chase.

Mark,

thanks mate, I'm happy as.

Guest bluecod

Well done Ken - I think you've got the secret worked out - leave the Bluecod behind [not for lack of invites] and the fish come on :mad3:

I'm going to have to organise my working life a little better I think :1prop:

The #10 stand up to it today it seems. :thumbup:

Ben,

where are you situated? If your'e near any coastline, there should be salmon.

g'day George,

I only used the 10 wt for the deep stuff today at Spot X, not for the salmon, but thinking about getting a spare spool for it so I can put an intermediate line on. might knock over the fish a bit quicker then, the 7 wt is just a touch light for them, although its great fun playing them on the 7.

Dave,

it was a good day, but its been a long time coming.

Thanks Hooky,

hopefully will be able to get a couple more like today.

Guest bluecod
Joe,

Iv'e PMed you the email for Gillies,

cheers

71037[/snapback]

Ken,

If that's the address I gave you mate, it's not Gillies but a trusted reseller!

Guest madsmc

Great report Ken. Two attempts, two conversions, plus the bonus points for keeping your rods intact :biggrin2:. Keep the reports coming mate, it makes the working week a bit easier, and makes me even keener to become a better fly caster so I can go after the pelagics. :thumbup:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Guest Jocool
Ken,

If that's the address I gave you mate, it's not Gillies but a trusted reseller!

71053[/snapback]

Its all good boys! Email sent. :thumbup:

Guest Target

Ken

You make me jealous :(

Seems like the Harbour is fishing alot better than Broken Bay again this year. In the few trips out in the past month I have sighted only 2 schools of sambos on Broken Bay. TimK and I found a school a few miles north of Box head on Monday, got to within 30m and they dissapeared, never to show again :mad3:

Seroiusly though, nice fish. Well done

Adrian

Shane,

I was more careful with the rod this time and took a bit more time, although I was anxious to get onto the next fish as I was bringing them in, worst thing that happended today was that I popped a leader. Its funny fighting one and there's hundreds around just slirpping and mooching around the boat. 2 scores on 2 outings for a total of over 15 fish is good, but it was many outings for less than a handful b4 last week, and now that work is starting again next week, it might be another long time between drinks.

Good one Joe, look out social, Joe will be casting to the other side of the lake with his new weapon!

Adrian,

Iv'e hit Pittwater 6 times in recent months, latest last Tuesday, for not even a sign of any schools, so if youv'e spotted a couple, well done. The harbour is patchy, plenty of reports of donuts, with occasionally a decent session, friend of mine slayed the trevallys in the harbour on the long weekend.

PHil,

thanks mate, in your beast mate, the salmon better watch out. A guy I know has a similar looking boat to yours, a Galeforce, beautiful looking boat, built for fishing outside the Heads, like my 4 metre punt... :1prop::074:

Soapie and Jewnut,

get the arms into action boys before the salmon are gone this season.

cheers