Avoca 14/02/16

fisholb

Hi all

My eldest son kept on asking me to take him fishing. Decided to hit avoca since we havent been there since easter last year. Arrived at the spot around 530am. Carpark almost empty. Not a good sign. Quickly got our gear and straight to the ledge. Only a dozen fishos. While rigging up the fisho next to our left got a bite but didn't land the fish. His line broke off. Told my son and my mate that looks like the bonito are biting. Quickly cast a whole pilly on float and gave it to my son. Quickly rigged another rod with squid skirts n float. Were not getting bites on the pilly so i started spinning the skirts. After about 15mins i got my first bite. This thing was pulling heaps of line so decided to tighten the drag. After about 5mins i landed my 1st mack tuna for the year around 3kg. My mate landed 3 small bonito in arounds 30mins. My landed another 2 mack tuna in an hour while i landed my my 2nd bonito for the year on the rapala cd7 firetiger. There were steady bites until around 9am and then it really slowed down after. A fish landed in average of 15mins on lures and bait. Just i was packing up around 10am a fisho landed a legal kingy on lure. 1st legal kingy i saw landed for the year. Left the ledge around 11am and got home around 1pm. Good to see that the bonito were at avoca today. Those mack tuna are huge. Biggest ones ive seen so far. Hope to catch more soon. Thanks for reading.

d34c5c57d785a9e33f9b0f0f632f0fa0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

great haul of fish, would u mind telling us round about where avoca rocks are? and how to get to them??....

thanks heaps in advance

Just put on your gps or googlemaps the following address

1 avoca drive avoca beach

It will take you to the carpark near the rock pool and just follow the path to the ledge

Please be very careful when the swell is over 2m

The ledge goes under most of the time when the swell is up

Looks great!!!

Can anyone tell me if the ledge is all right when the swell is less than 2m?

Let's say this coming Friday is going to be 1.67m in the morning. Is that good to go?

Regards,

Jian

Hello Jian.

DO NOT confuse the statement above with the Tide Levels.

fisholb

was warning that wave heights / swell above 2m can be dangerous. This has nothig to do with the tide levels which is what I believe you are meaning. Please be careful and pay attention to the wave height / swell as that is what will kill you. :( The swell wont be known until that day and even then can change pretty fast. As always, observe the ocean and wave patterns for a while before going onto any rocks or ledges. You should be able to work out pretty fast if you can safely fish the area.

(By the way, Hello everyone :) Ive been lurking for weeks just reading learning and getting jealous at all the great catches, this is my 1st post so I may as well introduce myself while i am here.)

Edited by Snooks

Hey mate I fish this ledge quite a bit and 1.6 is a no go. 1.3 is the max I would go for at this spot until u really know how the ledge fishes under different conditions. Don't forget to check the swell interval. Anything over 11 secs is a bit much. Fish the mid run out and u should be ok

Looks great!!!

Can anyone tell me if the ledge is all right when the swell is less than 2m?

Let's say this coming Friday is going to be 1.67m in the morning. Is that good to go?

Regards,

Jian

Mate just remember the forecast can be 40% more so 1.6m can be over 2m

My advice is check the forecast the night before then after 4am on the day you go

I wont fish that ledge if the forecast is over 1.5m

Make sure you always wear the safety gear (boots/pfd) all the time

I was out there on Sunday morning also got a few Bonnies.

The place is an accident waiting to happen for a lot of people out there.

A bloke next to me slipped over 5 times wearing only thongs then his mate stands on the edge wearing steel cap boots.

So many people fish there in joggers or thongs.

• 2 months later...

1.5m swell can be very dangerous unless you are experienced, know the platform and very cautious. You can break your neck even away from the edge without the proper footwear. Lots of hidden dangers for the unwary.

Edited by Blurter

1.5m swell can be very dangerous unless you are experienced, know the platform and very cautious. You can break your neck even away from the edge without the proper footwear. Lots of hidden dangers for the unwary.

How's the ledge fishing at the moment? Any action to report or has it slowed down.