What Rod/Reel for Beach lures?

DaleB

Hi all,

Ive got 2 beach rods I use for bait however I think they are to big/heavy for lures, I want to try out some spanyid raiders and I guess some others but after some advice on a decent rod/reel that won't break the budget but can handle some decent fish and cast out a fair distance.

Anyone have a setup purely for beach lures or recommend anything?

Hi mate. I have a few beach rods but only one suitable and strictly for lures is a 9ft daiwa tdt rod which is 6-10kg and matched with a daiwa aird 4000. Really great combo for throwing from the beach or the stones. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hey mate, I use a 9ft off the stones for lures but I've found with beaches you really need that extra length especially if your local beaches usually have a fair bit of swell. For the surf I have a samaki zing 12ft which is matched to a 8-12kg daiwa surf basia. The reel was a little pricey though but I can highly recommend the penn conflict reels just get something around the 8-12kg mark and you should be pretty well set unless you hook an absolute monster. I use this same reel on my 9ft set up by the way which is a 9ft 8-12kg penn prevail.

If you're looking at using this rod on the stones as well as the beach I would stick to the 9ft otherwise beach 12 stones 9.

Would this work any good?

I would mainly be using it off the beach, but maybe some rocks, Ive already got 2 12 foot rods/reels

Thanks for the advice

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Daiwa-Aird-Spin-Reel-4000H.aspx?pid=321019#Recommendations

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Starlo-ClassiX-Spin-9-5-10KG-2pc.aspx?pid=287076&menuFrom=30101#Recommendations

Also if I get that Daiwa reel, what line should I put on it for 40gm lures?

Edited by DaleB

Hi mate. I have a few beach rods but only one suitable and strictly for lures is a 9ft daiwa tdt rod which is 6-10kg and matched with a daiwa aird 4000. Really great combo for throwing from the beach or the stones. Cheers

On your 4000 what line do you use?

Personally I use 30lb all round but I enjoy being on the light side so you could probably go up to 50lb if your not confident with the lighter line. I use the super p.e stuff, anything with 300m+ of line is good.

But that depends on what you're chasing. This is my heavier set up, I have two lighter set ups one being a 10lb for tailor and bonnies etc and a 20lb for when nothings touching the heavier gear but still need some turning power.

Sorry for the double comment guys.

I use 20lb dale as i love to keep things light as possible haha

More enjoyable (personal preference) and use Berkeley fire line exceed. Never had a drama. I use 2m of vanish fluro carbon 30lb

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ive got 2 beach rods I use for bait however I think they are to big/heavy for lures, I want to try out some spanyid raiders and I guess some others but after some advice on a decent rod/reel that won't break the budget but can handle some decent fish and cast out a fair distance.

Anyone have a setup purely for beach lures or recommend anything?

DaleB i have a shimano nitro 9' and a stradic 5000FK loaded with 10lb 8 core braid and it does the job

well, shoots 40g and 60g slugs past the 100 yard mark and it will subdue a decent fish no problems .

this is the one time i had a camera with me

post-38527-0-73899600-1459057233_thumb.jpg

post-38527-0-72798300-1459057322_thumb.jpg

Edited by tackleberry